1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating with or without a job offer.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jameshunt72, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jameshunt72

jameshunt72 New commenter

I'm a secondary science teacher in my 3rd year of teaching. My wife and I have decided that we would like to relocate an hour away to Skipton in North Yorkshire. This would put my current school 1 hour away which it too far for me to commute.

There are 5 schools that I could easily commute to from where we want to live and a few more that would be do able.

How do people relocate in teaching? Job first or house first? Are science teachers in enough demand to expect to get employment even in nice rural ares?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Depends upon when you are planning to move and what the local job situation is like? Even in science there are no guarantees unless you are Physics or Chemistry then there is likely to be a stronger demand.You can set up an email alert for a location on this website( and others) . The majority of posts coincide with the academic year unless you are covering an absence or maternity. Most posts are filled spring- early summer term.
    There may be an advantage to living in an area when applying for a local job particularly in a popular location. Many teachers do struggle to find a place when they have committed to the job. I would also question whether an hour is too long a commute short term- it al least gives you the advantage to carry on working while you are looking.

sabrinakat and agathamorse like this.