1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating to South Wales

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by miss charlie, Oct 6, 2012.

1. miss charlie

miss charlie New commenter

Evening all,

I may be relocating to south Wales (Swansea) int he near future - dependent on my husbands job and it being where his family are.

We're trying to weigh up how difficult it will be for me to get a full time teaching job in that area.

I'm GTP trained in science and am currently running a small psychology department in 6th form.

I have heard that gaining teaching jobs in s.Wales in very difficult as there is little movement in the job market and it is especially harder not being a Welsh speaker.

Any body have any input on this one?

Its quite difficult for me to judge how many jobs are around as its entirely the wrong time of year/term!

Obviously there is the option of supply I just dont know how viable this would be given thatI do not drive and am unable to for medical reasons.

2. miss charlie

miss charlie New commenter

Evening all,

I may be relocating to south Wales (Swansea) int he near future - dependent on my husbands job and it being where his family are.

We're trying to weigh up how difficult it will be for me to get a full time teaching job in that area.

I'm GTP trained in science and am currently running a small psychology department in 6th form.

I have heard that gaining teaching jobs in s.Wales in very difficult as there is little movement in the job market and it is especially harder not being a Welsh speaker.

Any body have any input on this one?

Its quite difficult for me to judge how many jobs are around as its entirely the wrong time of year/term!

Obviously there is the option of supply I just dont know how viable this would be given thatI do not drive and am unable to for medical reasons.

3. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Hi,
    I'm primary trained although have worked in a secondary school in the Swansea area. If you're secondary the Welsh is slightly less vital although there is an increasing focus on bilingualism and all lessons are expected to include incidental Welsh (commands, praise etc). There are very few jobs around due as you have said to people tending to stay in the same job and also because Wales has trained too many teachers for so time so there is an oversupply. The majority of schools now employ cover supervisors so there is not much supply work to be had. Few English medium schools in the area have 6th forms - most just go up to Year 11.
    However, I don't want to put you off the area! I love living and working here. There are few jobs but sometimes jobs do come up at the right time. Good luck!