1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Scotland or Northern Ireland for NQT year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Speccaa1, Dec 2, 2018.

  1. Speccaa1

    Speccaa1 New commenter

    I'm a PGCE Biology student due to qualify next June. My partner is in the process of applying for PhDs and we may need to relocate depending on where he gets accepted. There is a possibility that I might have to apply for NQT posts in Belfast or St Andrews and I am concerned about applying for jobs in the coming months as I don't really know these areas (we currently live in Manchester). Does anyone have any advice about where to start with applications and arranging interviews/visits over long distances?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Wit Scotland you have to register with their General Teaching Council. Details on their website nd the Scottish probation arrangements.. The issue with NQT posts is that schools provide a guaranteed "probation" for trainees leaving Scottish universities, they get priority. Jobs are advertised in the TES but the local councils also have websites and they are a lot more actively involved with schools than their English counterparts. You may find you need to be located in the area to help secure a post.
  3. Speccaa1

    Speccaa1 New commenter

    Thank you, that's really helpful! I'll look into the General Teaching Council and keep an eye on local council sites.

    Is the process similar in Northern Ireland? Or is their system more like the English one? (i.e. no prioritisation for students leaving Northern Irish universities)
  4. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    I know nothing about the arrangements for Northern Ireland I can only comment on Scotland as my daughter in law works there. In my experience many NI trained teachers come to London as they have had difficulty securing posts there.
    Good luck in your search
  5. MissieTrex

    MissieTrex New commenter

    I would e-mail GTC Scotland first and see if you need to do any further training. As far as I understand it, you could try to get a probation year or build up your days on supply. There aren't enough teachers in Scotland so I am sure you would get work (long term supply).
  6. NNS

    NNS New commenter

    Another thing to consider is that for some subjects jobs after PGCE are not very likely, as the curriculum is different, and I know a few people from my degree who attempted to relocate and only managed to secure some supply work in Scotland. PGDE students are 'guaranteed' their NQT year, and some struggle to find a permanent positions after that, as their previous post is filled by another NQT, and there are not as many jobs going around. It seems to be easier to move from Scotland to England.

Share This Page