1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating to London Advice!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lcouch12, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hi,
    My Partner and I are seriously considering moving to London!! I have no idea where to start, apart from its got to be in or close to inner London. I am from Cornwall (bit of a country bumpkin) and have not come across any children with EAL- obviously london has a high proportion.
    Can any one offer any advice about where to look?, where is safe? I am an NQT so somewhere that offers good induction training!
    I am worried about moving to London but it is something that has to be done! has anyone else relocated to London and loved it there? can you offer any advice about surviving there?
    Thanks

2. I was born and raised in London so can't help with moving ideas but London is very varied with million pound house on the same road as council estates whichis why I like it. There are large proportions of EAL children in London and it will be really important in your applications to talk about how you would provide for them so do some research and try and get some experience.
    I am a PGCE student so haven't done induction yet but I believe Lambeth and Wandsworth have good pools as does Islington, the Camden one is closed. The big issue with induction will be the actual school and you will just have to do your best to reasearch them as there are som many schools no one could give you advice.
    Good luck and if you have any more specific questions about London areas then I will try to help.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Firstly, London is a big place and many commute to Inner London ( due to living costs) making the area larger. A lot depends upon your subject/phase as even in London there is a shortfall of primary induction posts and strong competition in other subject areas. It is often the case that there are more opportunities in some Outer London areas than in Inner London.You will also be in competition with the locally trained teachers so you have to show that you will be able to compete with them and deliver to a largely multicultural classroom. Your application and support statement will therefore need to be specifically tailored to reflect these factors.

4. Yes - don't.
    OtC