1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Canada - Getting a job???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sjp84, Apr 28, 2017.

1. sjp84

sjp84 New commenter

My husband and I are seriously looking into relocating to Canada (West coast) and I wondered if anyone had any advice about how to start looking for and applying for teaching posts out there - preferably and international/British curriculum school. We have two small children (6 and 3) so that adds to the mix! Any advice would be much appreciated as we want to get the ball rolling asap. TIA

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Talk on the different forums is that it is very difficult to get jobs in Canada. Apparently there are many Canadian teachers working overseas as jobs are almost non existent in Canada.Not sure about the international schools or Brit Curr schools. Try searching the Overseas Forum as info has been posted there.

3. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

4. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

On a serious note, yea I have heard it's almost impossible :(. The person I replaced at my current school (8 years ago) moved to Canada and according to those that still keep in contact with them, they still have no teaching job!

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Getting a teaching job is difficult. I'm not sure if all boards of education have the same process but I'll give you an example. First you have to get on the occasional teachers list but that list is not always open to new applicants. Now you can apply for jobs without being on the list but those who are or are already employed by the board have priority for jobs. If you were to be hired in front of them, the principal would have to prove you were the better candidate.

6. missteacher1

missteacher1 New commenter

I've searched a lot on this subject, it seems very difficult to get a job in a state run school but is there any information on independent schools?