1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Australia as an Irish teacher with family in tow...

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by 2mature, Jul 4, 2018.

1. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi I am just starting the process of applying for process of applying for visa with aim of moving out next August (2019). Having spoken to Migration Agent she reckons on state sponsored visa only NSW will be open to me and with change in points I may not make Independent visa. My question is with a wife and two kids could you suggest as a PE & History teacher where would be good for job opportunities and family in this area (NSW). The rent in Sydney is extortionate as so would towns etc... be a better option. Also was thinking August would be good time to get supply work and foot in door as you said for the January recruitment??. If any expats have advice , recommendations etc.... please feel free to share Thanks in advance

2. Hello,
    I am an Australian teacher living in regional NSW. Generally speaking, there are more job vacancies in the country than on the coast in NSW. Tamworth is a major regional centre where I work in a Catholic secondary school with an enrolment of around 1000 students. There seem to be frequent teaching jobs that come up. The rents in Tamworth are much less than in Sydney, around $300-400 pw for a house.
    Andrea

2mature likes this.
  3. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi Andrea,

Thank you so much for the response. I have been trying to research all regional towns/cities which have good amenities and a vast amount of schools also to improve employment opportunities. I had been looking at the coast but had actually also been researching Tamworth as a potential area. I will definitely look more into that.

Thank you,
    Tony

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Hi Tony

I lived in Sydney for a few years and loved it but know that now things are very expensive. A good friend of mine from then now lives in Newcastle which is north of Sydney on the coast. She now has a family and they seem very happy there with good community involvement. I don't know about teaching opportunities but it's definitely a place to investigate. The country is great but the coast has greater appeal for me. Alternatively, my brother moved to Tasmania from Melbourne a couple of years ago and it is very affordable and he loves it. He bought a good fixer-upper three bedroom house with sea views for a very reasonable price. Something to consider. Just dawned on me that you said NSW.... would you be able to move interstate after a while?

5. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

Wow! in Sydney we're paying that for a one bedroom apartment.

2mature likes this.
  6. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

Could also perhaps look around Greater Western Sydney. From my understanding out around Penrith and Campbeltown the rent isn't as expensive and there would be more jobs. teach.nsw has an email they send out every so often with job opportunities which you can keep an eye out on.

2mature likes this.