1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating to Aberdeenshire

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by rednelly84, Jun 25, 2018.

1. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Hello,

I have two questions regarding living and working in Aberdeenshire which I'm hoping to find answers to.

1. My friend and colleague is relocating to the county next month and is looking for reputable schools for her 2 daughters in and around Stonehaven and Portlethen. Does anyone have any leads?

2. I shall be relocating to Aberdeenshire next year with my husband. I am originally from Perth, having moved to the UAE in 2010, but job openings back in my home town are few and far between (primary). I have signed up to job alerts from Myjobscotland to get an idea of what's available and I have read repeat adverts for positions over the past few weeks. Should alarm bells be ringing for those schools or is it really a case of there are not enough teachers? Where would people recommend/not recommend working and living in the county?

Thanks in advance,
    Red

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Primary? Secondary? Most people around here are happy to send their children to the school which is the one where they live (the catchment area). Portlethen has got one secondary school and 3 primaries (which one a child goes to depends on where about in Portlethen you live). Same for Stonehaven: 3 primaries/one secondary. Some people might choose to send their kids to a private school but they are in Aberdeen,therefore the kids will need to travel. Where is your friend planning to live?

As far as jobs for you: yes,Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire are short of teachers and it's the case that jobs are readvertised because no suitable candidate applied.
    As for where to live,it depends how far away from Aberdeen City you need/want to be. The further north you are from Aberdeen,the cheaper housing will be.

rednelly84 likes this.