1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating - possibly to Spain. How to choose the right school?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by reke, May 30, 2019.

1. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

So does your school force teachers to work the summer school? I thought I'd heard that this could only be done if the students on the summer courses actually attended the school all year round.

2. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I have also heard of schools doing this, but none of the good ones do it.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

The convenio states the number of hours teachers have to work (I forget what it is - 1200 or thereabouts). I guess if the summer school falls within this number of hours... I don't know, but I imagine it's something like that. Or the school makes it a condition of the 12 month contract, as opposed to a 10 month one.

4. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

The convenio (national agreement) does state that permanent staff can be expected to work the month of July every second year. Half this year, half next. It states that you will be paid an extra 1/3 of a month's salary for doing this. Staff on temporary contracts, even 12 month ones, have no such obligation.

I don't ever remember seeing any condition re the children being from the school, but in most cases I know of, the summer school students are a mix of those from the school and those from outside.

5. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Thanks for clarifying Lunarita. My school no longer has a summer school, so it's not an issue for me, but I know that other schools in the area do.

6. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

I have
    Thanks for clarifying.

Does anyone know anything about schools that have always relied on teachers applying / volunteering to teach summer school suddenly deciding to make long-term staff work July / part of July? Does the reference to acquired rights in the national agreement mean they would be exempt from this?

I would be very grateful if anyone could offer any insight into this.

7. Madamemorgan

Madamemorgan New commenter

Hi i have started a private conversation with you. I currently work in spain and can share lots.

8. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

DocShew likes this.