1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocating abroad with kids

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Blundergus, Dec 19, 2019.

1. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

My sister and I are good examples of what can happen to TCKs. I really thrived in the international schools we were in, made lots of friends and was generally very happy. Her experience was the exact opposite. She's three years older than me. When we moved to the UK so she could attend University, she thrived and I went downhill rapidly, to the point where I nearly quit school all together. The UK was a hard move for me and I never felt at home there.

I still think my parents did the right thing taking us with them. We both got a lot from it, and though my sister struggled more than me, I think she would say she had some good experiences. A two year contract is not long in the grand scheme of things. Go, try it out, see how the kids fair, and if it doesn't work, go back to the UK.

24hours likes this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

You dont. What was great for me might be totally unacceptable for you. It is all very subjective.

Ask for contact details of someone at the school.

3. cduffner3

cduffner3 New commenter

My son is 10 and started at his first UK School this September! He's lived in 3 foreign countries and enjoyed all of them to the extent that even though his UK school is fab, he wants to return to Asia. He loved the experiences he had and the travel we could afford during holidays....not sure how long we will be before we return to international!

4. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I started early. My son was made in China but born in the UK. We returned to China just before his 2nd birthday. He went to local kindy from that age. I went on to have another two kids overseas, all started at the local schools so their local language was very good. Now they've been brought through the international school system. The oldest had the most local language (he was in a local primary until age 10) so he is still literate. We've been very fortunate they've attended very good international schools with excellent teachers and small class sizes. I think that's the real benefit, the class sizes makes a difference. They've experienced both Nat'l curriculum and I.B. curriculum. I prefer the PYP to be honest although their numeracy learning could have been better. And the Nat'l curriculum seems a bit colonial-centric.
    Anyhow, great experience so far. But they don't know any different. They make wistful comments about living in our home country but we haven't lived there, really, in over 20 years. I am curious how they will navigate socially in university if they go back to their passport country. But they may do an international program in one of the unis here or there overseas. We'll see.

5. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Moved to Kuwait with our two children aged 3 and 2 in July. Spent a lovely summer out here just spending time with them that we never had at home.

Started work in last week of August - leaving children at home with the nanny. They quickly developed a sense of maturity and independence that would have taken a lot longer at home, but at the expense of being a bit isolated. However, due to finishing earlier in the day we could take them out every day and did - swimming at our club, wondering around the local souk, eating together at the mall. Wonderful times again we wouldn’t have at home.

They needed other children though, so enrolled the eldest in KG at my school - even though she was one of only three white faces in the school - almost 100% Kuwaiti intake. As I speak she is in her fifth day and has taken to it like a duck to water. She is having IT lessons, music lessons, playing, learning - she is loving it and has already taken part in an assembly. It’s early days of course - but it’s working really well.

I’m sure some would be horrified at the choices we have made but it’s worked out for us so far - although yes it’s early days.

Long term - plan to take eldest through to end of EYFS, maybe year two in Kuwait (although maybe at a different school) and then go further East and settle for long enough to see them through to GCSE hopefully.

They have flown more at their age than we ever did. We could go back to my wife’s country (Hungary) at Christmas for the first time ever (no leave from UK at Christmas), and even though it cost a lot of money we could afford it. They have been to Dubai, we hope to go to Oman at Easter.

For us, so far, haven't regretted a thing.

6. Blundergus

Blundergus New commenter

It was just a turn of phrase - I'm very into hyperbole!

7. Blundergus

Blundergus New commenter

You've all given me a lot to think about. I was applying for schools specifically with my kids' educations in mind, and that seems to be what most of you are encouraging. I do think my eldest (7) especially will resist any plans to move, and he would also struggle linguistically if we put him in anything other than an English-speaking environment. Thanks very much for your time and your considered responses. All very much appreciated

8. goyachan

goyachan New commenter

thank you for your perspective. It has really helped me . I have been worrying myself sick about moving my children. We were all set to move to Poland Aug 2019 then unfortunately my youngest was diagnosed with a medical condition meaning she needs to stay here in the U.K. until full resolution ( a year if we are lucky) . Clearly a tough year for everyone . I am keen to try again for an international job but hubby less sure due to impact on kids .