1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

religious school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by scout1984, Apr 27, 2016.

1. scout1984

scout1984 New commenter

Hi all
    I've seen a great school that I would like to apply to but on reading the application form, noticed that is said preference is given to 'practising Catholics.' I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this, or had been offered a post in a religious school having not fit the criteria? I'm just wondering whether it is worth applying. I am Catholic, just not practising.
    Thank you in advance.

2. itzamystery

itzamystery New commenter

You should be ok. You may be asked why you've 'lapsed'. There are many non-Catholics working in Catholic schools. Just make sure you say you'll support the ethos of the school etc.

3. scout1984

scout1984 New commenter

Thank you. Really strangely, the school name rang a bell, so I asked my colleague and she said she'd had an interview there in the past and she's not Catholic (it's strange because we're both teaching in the USA and it's in the North of England!) Thanks again :)

4. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

It depends what kind of job it is. I work in a Catholic school and my understanding was that Pastoral staff plus Depute Heads and Head teachers should also be practising Catholics.

5. scout1984

scout1984 New commenter

Thank you, D

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are not enough Catholic teachers to fill all the Catholic schools. ;)

So go ahead with your application.

Heads and Deputy Heads they can insist on being practising Catholics, the others not.

THIS will give you some pointers about ethos. And THIS . And if you haven't yet found all the advice articles on applications, do tag me @TheoGriff so I can show you where they are.

Best wishes

7. scout1984

scout1984 New commenter

Thank you Theo!

8. install

install Star commenter

Yes apply - but if you are considering a Deputy post or Headship post it may prove difficult.

There is usually a Section asking for a reference from a priest - so you may put in a third referee who can account for your upstanding character in the local community.