1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Religious leaders who have been assassinated or murdered

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by agneepath, Jun 4, 2011.

1. agneepath

agneepath New commenter

Malcolm X

2. I would be disgusted if someone chose to teach about Meir Kahane as a great Jewish martyr, because of his nasty right-wing attitudes. Just because he was killed doesn't make him a great person and worthy of study.

3. do not take notice of bgy - he only does it to annoy
    he did include caligula
    actually - it is possible he does admire caligula

4. Franz Jägerstätter

5. Julius Caesar was declared to be a god posthumously. Augustus was declared to be god whilst he lived, but only one for non-Romans to worship, though he did get a Roman cult after death. Tiberias rejected divinity and forbade the senate to declare him a god. Caligula declared himself a god, going as far as to have statues of Zeus remodelled in his own image. He also comandeered the entire Roman merchant fleet and converted them to a pontoon bridge, to fulfil a prophecy that he had "no more chance of becoming emperor than of riding a horse across the Bay of Baiae", causing a famine as grain imports from Egypt were suspended.
    He then declared himself at war with Posiden and had the army attack the English channel with javelins. He then declared victory and had them gather sea shells.
    His initial circuses were extravagant, but he ran out of money, and was reduced to importing mangy lions and panthers. The crowd complained, so he had a section of them arrested and converted to gladiators, to see how they would do against the beasts. They didn't do very well - they were slaughtered.
    Caligula had a major impact on Roman religion, and was arguably the Emperor the Roman people deserved. However eventually they got fed up of him, and had him assassinated. He's certainly worthy of study as an example of a religious leader who was murdered for his beliefs.

6. Thanks againfor all the ideas and hopefully other people have had some inspiration for their own work too.
    Some of the examples I will definitely be using. I want to explore those people who have gone against the grain, showed courage in standing up for what they believed in against the authority of their day.
    I'm slowly realising that RE gives opportunities to be subversive and challenging in ways that others subjects are not able.

7. I think the only issue for me would be that it would be a very male-dominated study and therefore not so subversive in some ways.

8. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

An interesting issue to include in the discussion - if you look at the Catholic saints you can find some good female ones -

Here someone that my mother (age 92) suggested
    wiki

Edith Louisa Cavell ( /?kæv?l/; 4 December 1865 ? 12 October 1915) was a British nurse and humanitarian. She is celebrated for saving the lives of casualties from all sides without distinction and in helping some 200 Allied soldiers escape from German-occupied Belgium during World War I, for which she was arrested. She was court-martialled and found guilty of treason. She was sentenced to death and shot by firing squad. She received worldwide sympathetic press coverage.
    She is well-known for her statement that "patriotism is not enough." Her strong Anglican beliefs propelled her to help all those who needed it, both German and Allied soldiers. She was quoted as saying, "I can?t stop while there are lives to be saved".[1] Cavell was also an influential pioneer of modern nursing in Belgium.

9. Ah having a bias towards males is a definite weakness i have in my writing of work but Cavell is a really great example and someone i'll definitely use.
    I think one of the most difficult things is stepping out of your gender when you're trying to be creative and develop engaging topics to appeal across genders.

10. Have you considered a local angle? I don't know where you are based but your local history might reveal a protestant or catholic martyr or even a supposed witch who was burned/beheaded etc for their beliefs. We have a four protestant martyrs in my town with local memorials, stained glass window, mentions in Foxe's Acts and Monuments... Just a thought - the 'on our very door step' angle can have great appeal and lead to interesting discussions.