1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Religious education trained teaching abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by veni_vidi, Jan 9, 2011.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hi, i'm currently doing a PGCE in Religious Education (with a degree in Crim/Soc). Obviously i'll be in The UK for the next couple of years, assuming i get a job that is! However i'd like to teach abroad for a year or so ideally New Zealand, Oz or America but open to anywhere i can really.
    Can anyone tell me where i'd be able to work with this qualification, as i know RE is a funny one? Or point me to the right info as i just keep getting tefl sites?
    Thanks for any help!
    Veni

2. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Hi Veni
    I was in the same situation as you a few years ago. RE is indeed a funny one but there are ways around it. You just need to try to widen your teaching experience. A few suggestions:
    • Try to apply for Sociology, possibly Psychology (depending on what you studied exactly) teaching jobs in the UK rather than just RE. That way you'll be able to apply for more general Humanities/Social Sciences jobs when you are trying to move abroad. There's plenty of demand for those, especially in MYP and US curriculum schools.
    • The best thing you could do is try to get a job in a school that offers IB. It's very hard to get but there are more and more IB schools in the UK. Then make sure you get to teach a bit of TOK, possibly some Philosophy, or ANY IB subject you can your hands on, really.
    • To stand out from the crowd at this stage and bag a UK IB school job, try to spend a few days in an IB school, offer to teach for free or just observe IB lessons. Make a big deal of it on your CV. Try to get on an IB course (expensive but can be done online), like MYP Humanities for instance.
    • To give you an idea of your chances, this year there have been three RE/Philosophy jobs in total: one in Australia for January 2011, and two in Hong Kong (including one asking for IB experience). That's it. Competitive is an understatement.
    • Finally, give up the idea of teaching abroad for one year. Two is your minimum. I know that some people manage to get one year contracts but they are usually in high-demand subjects, not RE. Also, you are right to be open-minded about location. Beggars can't be choosers etc.
    Sorry to sound a bit grim but it is a tough subject. Sociology or Psychology will be much more helpful in the long term, I think.
    Good luck, and if you have questions about specifics, just PM me!

3. Veni I am actually you (not actually you) a couple of years down the line. I am an RE teacher (PGDE) with two years teaching expereince and my degree is also similar (undergrad Psychology/Philosophy).

My experiences so far have seen me only apply for a couple of overseas jobs, I have secured interviews but now work as of yet (although I still have my Scottish teaching job). RE is a funny subject abroad because many countries simply do not teach it as a discreet subject. America is a no go with RE, they do not teash it in schools, instead teach a mixture of social studies, philosophy etc, although some private schools might offer it.

All International British schools offer it, which is the best way in as I see it. Last year there were jobs posted in the Cayman Islands, Manila, Dubai, Saudi Arabia....can't remember much more, and this year so far it has only been three job listings in Hong Kong.

4. 576

576 Occasional commenter

There should be an ad at some point for a post in the Caymans starting August 2011.
    There are usually a few advertised in the middle east.

5. yasf

yasf New commenter

no they don't - far from it I'm afraid

6. Apologies, I (wrongly) assumed it was a protected subject like it is in Scotland (at least one period per week).