1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

religious descrimination

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nqt1234, May 31, 2011.

1. after working at my current (catholic) school in the north east for over 2 years i have come to the simple conclusion....
    you will only go up the ladder if you are Catholic or you are an ex pupil.

i honestly beleived the teaching profession was "above" this kind of behaviour.

oh how foolish i was!
    your thoughts/ opinions/ experiences please

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Well, yes, presumably in a Catholic school, one of the criteria for many senior posts will be that you follow the catholic faith. Certainly around here, deputy and Head posts in catholic schools are almost always for practising catholics.
    Church of England schools are often more laid back about religious beliefs and non church schools even more so. There <u>are</u> options for you to look at if you want promotion

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

... but you went to work in a faith school....guess which will always come first? It's in the nature of the beast.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

It's not discrimination, whatever you may have believed.

5. As an ex governor of a Catholic school I can confirm that this does go on. Some heads will always prefer a Catholic and this means that for senior posts the field is sometimes very small indeed.

6. What on earth did you expect. It'S a CATHOLIC school. Why would they want to promote someone who's not a Catholic? Just to easy to cry discrimination.

7. funded by the state

8. A friend of mine sent off for an application form for a post in a CofE School. The form asked for her place of worship, the name of the vicar and stated that proof of regular church attendance would be required. As my friend doesn't attend church regularly, she didn't apply. Are these questions common on church school applications?

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Well, I've tried to resist posting this but am compelled to do it anyway (so sharpen up those knives).
    So, if a secular, non-faith school only promoted non-religious staff, that would be bad?

10. No- I think the R word should be kept out of the workplace. From what I've observed over the years, formal religion serves to feed cronyism, and to keep some nasty people off the streets on a sunday (or saturday, or friday, depending on the flavour).
    Believe sincerely in what you will as long as it harms nobody, live your beliefs and don't inflict them on other people. Don't trouble other people's kids with them. Teach ethical behaviour and decision-making.
    I've known some very nice people in state schools who do just this, and have greatest respect for them.....I've also endured the posturing moral gargoyles who use their highly visible roles in religious practice for selfish ends.
    Who'd have thought in the second decade of the 21st century we'd still be referring to a wee old lady as 'defender of the faith?'

11. ...or a former Nazi as 'his holiness'?

12. The law does allow faith schools to insist on candidates belongingto one faith I think mainly its SMT and the Head of RE!
    Remember the faith schools receive 20% less funding (I think) than state schools for this allowance (and a few other things aswell). So why shouldn't they use it.

13. Yes it is discrimination - but that's what faith schools are based on so why are you suprised?