1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Religion & closed-minded religious people...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bentley89, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/campaigns-against-lgbt-lessons-spreading

Why do some religious people, who preach about peace, love and acceptance (from a book written in a desert from thousands of year ago), spread so much hate?

I am proud that my country is diverse and accepting of it (mostly, and getting better). How are these idiots allowed to dictate what should and shouldn't be taught in our schools? These lessons are to educate about acceptance and diversity, not to promote and recruit children to 'team gay'.

Surely religion and education should be two entirely different things that should be kept separate? And as a result, all power to dictate what is taught taken away from members of the public with extreme views (or without for that matter)?

The second our schools and the government cave in to these ridiculous protests, we will be no different to the primitive attitudes of those in the Middle East and more conservative Asian countries.

I suppose what I am asking is, even if you aren't accepting of the LGBT community, is it unreasonable to accept that educating about tolerance and acceptance of members of this group is essential? After all, we all have members of the LGBT in our families and friends (and if you don't, it's probably because you don't know it yet!).

I welcome people's opinions on this subject, as I accept opinions will vary drastically.

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Often (though not always) it's the puritanical strain of particular faiths that are responsible, especially if their agenda is to impose that puritanism on others.

One of my concerns is that puritanical literalism and absolutism would then remain unchallenged by counter narratives.

For example, it is well-known that homophobia is rife in the Islamic world. So I partly address that in my lessons by introducing my students (many of whom are Muslim) to the views of Irshad Manji, and the wine poetry of the hellraising imbiber Abu Nuwas.

When it comes to challenging homophobia within Christianity, my students are presented with alternative interpretations of the offending Biblical passages ventured by theologians with more liberal attitudes.

Faiths are therefore rarely monolithic, one-dimensional entities (as the puritans would have you believe). So the caricatures of them one reads about in, for example, the literature of New Atheism are not always providing the full picture.

Just an off-the-top-of-my-head response.

I am personally agnostic and not affiliated with any faith tradition.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I would abolish all faith schools in the public sector if I had my way.
    Here's the curriculum. If you don't like it, pay up and send your kid somewhere more closely aligned to your dogma.

4. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Out of interest, agnostic theist or agnostic atheist?

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I just don't know one way or the other. Sometimes I wonder if consciousness is a basic feature of the universe. That might open up the possibility of the universe being 'intelligent' in some sense. But I could be well wide of the mark.

Forgot to mention that Abu Nuwas was apparently bisexual, by the way.

6. Bentley89

Whilst I have never really considered this before, it certainly does appeal to me now.

The more I experience this sort of ridiculous behaviour from religious-nuts, the more I feel religion only negatively impacts on education.

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Brunei is to begin imposing death by stoning as a punishment for gay sex and adultery from next week, as part of the country’s highly criticised implementation of sharia law.

From 3 April, individuals in the tiny southeast Asian kingdom will be subject to a draconian new penal code, which also includes the amputation of a hand and a foot for the crime of theft. The capital punishments are to be “witnessed by a group of Muslims.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...in-death-by-stoning-as-punishment-for-gay-sex

agathamorse likes this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Have you worked in a faith school? If not you cannot comment as to what happens. I have worked in several catholic and C of E schools, alongside state schools.
    State schools are marked by a total lack of interest in spiritual things and assemblies are mere note sessions with the odd inspirational thought.
    Church schools tend to have an ethos of care and consideation proclaimed. They are not overtly religious and at least proclaim an alternative view to nilhism and death as a sort of duty to die with little hope of life beyond.
    At the end, whatever teachers think, its the home and social context which controls beliefs.
    So if you want to destroy religion(and enough states have tried) then basically you need to destroy humanity. Atheists are in a minority compared to world beliefs.

9. Bentley89

Primitive idiots.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

The diversity is the reason for it.

artboyusa likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

You would need to build more than 7,000 new schools.

12. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

It scares me how much influence the DUP is having at the moment and could possibly have in the future with their negative stance on same sex marriage.

Especially, when you have Trump policies with attacks on LGBT.

I really hate the way things could possibly go in the future.

Don’t mind people being religious but please don’t try and dictate how others chose to live.

agathamorse and Bentley89 like this.
  13. LondonCanary

None at all outside NI.
    Many things that dictate how we shall live are non-religious.

corgie11 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  14. Bentley89

Yes, I have worked in a Catholic, CoE, Islamic and non-denominational school so fully aware of what goes on in each.

I am not saying 'destroy religion' as my family are Catholic and it clearly means a lot to them. In addition to that, I have friends who are Muslim, other Christian denominations, Hindu and atheist. But what I am saying is don't allow it to dictate what important issues are or are not taught in schools. We are British (and not a tiny primitive tribe in a desert somewhere). I feel we should embrace, celebrate and educate about minority groups.

On reflection, Muslims claim to be a victimised minority in Britain (which they are) but then proceed to victimise other minority groups. Hypocritical.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Nanook_rubs_it

I would say that consciousness is a basic feature of the universe, given the physics that it posseses.
    Whether that consciousness extends to the universe, or beyond in the case for a creator, I certainly didn't get the invite!

16. Bentley89

I 100% agree with you, however I err on the side of caution with the word 'choose' in the context of how we live. Many religious folk believe that being gay is a choice that you should not 'indulge'. It's best to give them zero ammunition.

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. Nanook_rubs_it

Are all faith schools owned & funded by religous organisations?

EmanuelShadrack and FrankWolley like this.
  18. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Hmmm, not my experience of working in faith schools. They pretend to care when in actual fact they don't in the slightest. Can't support charities that aren't allied to the church. Bullying is rife, homophobia is rife and respect for other faiths, atheism etc non-existent. My favourite faith school thing is the censoring and editing of school plays to make sure they conform to church rules.

Secular schools have more meaningful assemblies and social conscience. They are far more tolerant of the lbgt community and don't judge people from different faith groups.

It is long past time religion was removed from schools, other than for studying its peculiarities around the world.

19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Which includes people's right to raise their children as they wish without interference via non-mandated programmes.

corgie11 and towncryer like this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Why do non-religious people spread have about religious people?

Current thirty-page discussion on these issues here.