1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Relief teaching NZ/Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mennawilliams7, May 5, 2019.

  1. mennawilliams7

    mennawilliams7 New commenter

    NQT from Wales, will I be able to teach relief in NZ/Australia? Would I need to get my qualifications assessed?
  2. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter


    The real challenges are costs in rental accommodation, car, petrol and all that jazz. Sydney is an expensive place to rely on casual teaching as your main source of income. Followed by Melbourne. These costs will (slightly) ease if your partner can contribute for half.. You'd definitely need a car.

    It is a saturated casual teaching market because of the unemployed PE, Art and Geography teachers without permanent gigs. With that means, nearly all schools have their long list of reliable casual teachers already.
  3. blinky333

    blinky333 New commenter

    You can do relief in NZ, but would need to get your qualifications assessed and get registered with the Teaching Council. There’s a shortage of teachers in general in NZ, and lots of relief work is available (in my opinion). Just bear in mind that the relief work dies down in secondary schools in term 4 when the seniors all go on study leave, and regular teachers are used to cover classes instead of paying for relief (that’s roughly from late October to December).
  4. jazzy78

    jazzy78 New commenter

    company tradewind is good, they treat you well. avoid anzuk - rip off.
  5. Aim4Jannah

    Aim4Jannah New commenter

    If you want to teach in rural Australia then you could easily find regular work. Bear in mind that each state has its own regulations and process to allow you to teach in public schools. Whichever state you decide on, you would need to be there to begin the process as you would need to have an Australian address.
  6. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    I lived two hours drive west of Brisbane (so rural) for six months and there was little general supply within 100 km radius. Can only speak for Queensland but, as seems to be the norm around the world (except Canada), Maths/Chemistry/Physics pick your school. Nothing doing for the lesser subjects.

Share This Page