1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

relief TA contract advice please.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Debbie15, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Debbie15

Debbie15 New commenter

After initial work in a primary school as a TA supporting a single child for 6 weeks, I was kept on as a relief TA and I have done several "stints" in the school to cover sickness etc. Since November (beginning of) I have been working full time, again with a single pupil. Just wondering if anybody knew what my rights were regarding time off as I can't see an end in sight as to when this working pattern may end and at the moment it just keeps being extended for a few weeks at a time. I don't want to put my personal life on hold if the school could suddenly turn round and tell me they no longer need me. But I don't get paid for when I'm not there. Should I be entitled to holiday pay if I've put the hours in? I don't think the school will change my contract to permanent. Anybody else out there in a similar situation?

2. Debbie15

Debbie15 New commenter

After initial work in a primary school as a TA supporting a single child for 6 weeks, I was kept on as a relief TA and I have done several "stints" in the school to cover sickness etc. Since November (beginning of) I have been working full time, again with a single pupil. Just wondering if anybody knew what my rights were regarding time off as I can't see an end in sight as to when this working pattern may end and at the moment it just keeps being extended for a few weeks at a time. I don't want to put my personal life on hold if the school could suddenly turn round and tell me they no longer need me. But I don't get paid for when I'm not there. Should I be entitled to holiday pay if I've put the hours in? I don't think the school will change my contract to permanent. Anybody else out there in a similar situation?

3. No contract, no rights. It's up to you to make the choice when they offer you extra work you can say 'no'! Alternatively you can also take stints where you are unavailable but let them kno when you are. It's your risk! Relief means that - for all staff including teachers. No pay during the holidays. You could ask admin whether this job is likely to be advertised though and then you would get a contract if you were appointed.

4. You could always raise the question of being given a temporary contract. After two years of temporary contracts they would have to either let you go or make you permanent.

If you are working as a 1:1 you may find that you are not entitled to be paid if the child is absent from school - most heads will be sympathetic about this and redeploy you somewhere else but I think, strictly speaking, if the child is not in school then you are not entitled to be paid.