1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reliability of GTP offers

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jenstowell, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jenstowell

jenstowell New commenter

Hi
    I have been offered a place on a primary GTP and was wondering if any GTP providers could clarify something...?
    It says on the offer letter that they are now going to start approaching schools to ask them to train GTP students. My concern is how certain is it that they will find a place for everyone? Does it ever happen that people are offered a place but then they can't fill all the spots?
    I had assumed the training places would be confirmed beforehand so now I am a little nervous about getting my hopes up, just incase it doesnt come through!

2. Is this for the Isle of Wight GTP Jen?
    If so, then I think you should buy the champagne, put in ice and have your hand ready to pop the cork ... but just to be careful, don't pop it just yet!!
    The letter which gets sent out is a standard one, and is probably the same as I received when offered my place on the course last year. Yes, there is a chance of them not being able to find a place for you, but it's a very very very slim one. They already have an idea of which schools are willing to take a trainee and will have made the offers accordingly. It should just be a formality, but they want to cover themselves just in case.
    Hopefully it will be very soon ... I do, however, know that they aren't in the office over half term, so nothing is likely to happen until next week at the earliest (if it is the IOW one which you mentioned a month or so ago).

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

GTP is employment based so the ultimate offer has to come from a school. In some areas the provider recruits on behalf of local schools but nothing can be guaranteed until you have the written employment offer from a school. If they are just now approaching schools then there is no certainty demand will meet supply.
    It will also depend upon phase/subject and the local availability of qualified teachers!