1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relevant degree for Primary/Teach First credibility

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by missc-tf, Dec 30, 2018.

1. missc-tf

missc-tf New commenter

Hi I am currently a Primary NQT in the south west of England and this is my first post on this website so I'm sorry if these are basic questions!

A bit about me: I am currently enrolled in the PGDE Teach First graduate programme (I know there may be some critics of this) and will hopefully be completing the masters next year whilst still teaching. My undergraduate degree was in Psychology. I have been teaching year 5 since September 2017. Since long before entering teaching, I have always had in the back of my mind teaching abroad (3 month educational placement in Ghana with VSO and 2 months SEN placement in Sri Lanka confirmed this). Originally from Northern Ireland, I have always loved travelling and I look forward to experiencing another culture. Now I know I do not have enough experience yet - but I want to get as much relevant experience as possible before applying for international jobs, hence my discovery of this forum! So far I am flexible on which location as it is a couple of years away - but Singapore/Japan/Indonesia are really sticking out and of course Dubai.

Questions:

From my research so far I have seen that schools in the UAE need a degree that matches your subject. I cannot seem to find a consensus if Psychology will be sufficient for teaching Primary there? I have strong A Levels in the sciences and maths but I assume this only matters in the UK!

Teach First works in schools in socially and economically deprived areas in England - where I hope to work for the next couple of years following my NQT year. Will this limit what schools will be interested in me internationally, as the context/social make up of the schools will be considerably different?

I will have completed a PGDE but hope to top this up to a masters next year. Will this make a difference to international schools?

I am a 23 year old single female - has anyone in a similar situation experienced moving and teaching in an international school? Did you make a good support network?

Thank you for any advice!

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I'm fairly confident that you need a degree in your subject area if you want to teach in the UAE. The only way around this is if your degree is BA Primary Education... Please don't get disheartened, the world is a big place with many wonderful places that you can teach in!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I absolutely agree with Jason_Bourne that the world is indeed a big place. You should not get disheartened, missc-tf, but you should reply to the TES Conversation thing that I am just about to send to you. And of course you should also read my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

4. 101kaevija

101kaevija New commenter

Hi missc-tf, I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology (same as you!) and will be receiving my postgraduate degree in psychology. No PGCE. I have recently accepted a psychology teacher post in China xx

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

In certain areas of China you can obtain a work visa for teaching with only a 3 yr Degree. Some provinces are moving the bar for teaching qualification higher. Other conditions apply but not many, one that might is a minimum age of 25 here in Shanghai. This is to guarentee you have had at least 2 years post degree work experience.