1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relationships - teachers v non-teachers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Caroline_p3, Oct 24, 2010.

1. The thought of being in a long term relationship with a teacher makes me shudder. You have to get away from the job - if its just for a few hours a day. Being with a non teacher opens your eyes to the outside world. Its not just teaching that is a stressful occupation - try being a London copper, for example.

2. I teach in the U.S. My husband is also a teacher whom I met at work, so not only are we both teachers, but we both teach in the same building.
    The advantage is that we each know exactly what the other is talking about. We understand the stress, the difficulty of the job, and get the jokes without explanation.
    The downside is that it is difficult to get away from the job when you're both talking about it. It sometimes feels as if we never leave it.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The last week before half term, I calculated that I spent just 11 hours in my house awake.

I don't know what this means in terms of whether I'd be better suited to a teacher or a muggle, but it does mean that anyone who didn't understand the working hours etc wouldn't be staying here long!

4. My ex (which should tell you something!) was a teacher! The whole thing got very competitive.
    OFSTED gradings didn't help. ‘Her school was better than mine!', ‘Her colleagues were better!' etc etc... Didn't help working for different counties either.. apart from the different half term holidays... oh how I longed for them! Eventually, we grew so far apart, I left! Would never have a partnership with a teacher again!! Arrrgh!! (But don't take my experiences as the norm!!) I'm sure many a happy relationship has developed infront of IWB or across the staffroom!

5. My husband isn't a teacher and I couldn't do my job without his support. He makes sure I don't cook or do any house related things during the week. He listens if I've had a bad day, he listens if I've had a good day he doesn't moan when I am marking or planning up tto 9pm and I wish to thank him for all of this. To all other halves who enable us to be the best we can be in the classroom WELL DONE AND THANKS