1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relational operators in search engines

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by billybadger, May 13, 2010.

1. Morning all
    Does anyone know how to use relational operators in search engines? Its to provide evidence for the AQA FS Level 1.
    Despite fruitless hours spent searching (and trial and error), I cannot find how this works. Any help gratefully received.
    BB

2. Thanks Daren, but not quite what I was after. The marking criteria specifically states about using relational operators with use of greater than and less than. Google advanced search allows you to search within a range, but not greater than / less than.
    Any ideas anyone?

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Depends what you are searching for maybe something like mountain > 1000ft height or some such construct

4. Thanks Tony - I've tried various combinations of these, but none seem to work adequately. Does anyone do AQA FS and have experience of providing evidence for this?

5. Sorry BB, I misunderstood your question.
    As far as I know, none of the main Internet search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc) support the greater than or less than operators within their search queries.
    I have read the following AQA guidelines document (page 6)...
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-9520-2B-W-CI.PDF
    ... and wonder if it is a case of the students recognizing the operators in a question and selecting dates from a "holiday booking" site manually using either "before" and "after" combo boxes or calender tools based upon the use of operators in the question?
    Easyjet is a good site to look at for this.
    The "Use of Operators" is listed separately to the "In a search engine" bit, so I'm not sure it necessarily means the students are using them within the seach query.
    Otherwise, you would need to be teaching database queries (i.e. SQL) to cover these operators, which I expect are beyond level 1 functional skills.
    I'm not a teacher, just a web developer at LJ, but I thought I would try and help out if I could.
    I hope there is a AQA teacher out there who can confirm this either way. Or maybe somebody from AQA?

Good luck & regards,
    Daren.

6. Thanks again Daren. It would seem that they need to use some form of online database to achieve this part of the criteria, but what I don't understand is why they have to do this when part of their actual exam is to use and search a database. Just seems like a pointless duplication of work.
    If there is an AQA FS teacher who could confirm, I'd be very grateful. AQA have been less than helpful when we've tried to contact them.

7. I have a couple of thoughts...
    1. In google advanced search you have the option to search between numbers e.g. if you searched for ford fiesta £5000..£7000 then it would only bring back pages with ford fiestas between £5000 and £7000. This could be thought of as greater than 5000 but less than 7000.
    2. A bit abstract again i'm affraid but if you did an advanced search for something and set the date setting to past week then that could be said to be results < 8 days old?
    None of these are ideal but may count at a push.

8. <font size="3">use appropriate search techniques { (ie find tool including wildcards, index, multiple search criteria (eg, use of quotation marks, search within results, use of relational operators, eg, =, >,<, >=, <=, <>, and logical operators, eg, AND, NOT, OR)) } and design queries to locate relevant information</font>
    the " ie " means you must do but the " eg " are optional -- they are a guide - you may use them or not.

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

It's probably best to avoid Google when doing this sort of thing - it seems to have developed a mind of its own recently, and often gives you something you don't want.
    For example, searching for on-line logo angles used to find you pages that contained on-line AND logo AND angles. Not any more - give it a try. It doesn't even say, "Did you mean angles?" at the top - it just gives you things about angels. Apparently, what you need to enter is on-line logo "angles", so the quotation marks are now just a way to make it give you what you ask for, even if it's only a single word. Rubbish.

10. At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs, one of the first thoughts that came to my mind was 'search engine' does not mean 'google'. Auto-trader uses a search engine, and you can use plenty of relational operators in there...

11. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Mind did - with Google -
    [/URL]
    It still however substituted ANGELS instead - was it coded by Robbie Williams?

12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Yes, sorry - my typo seemed to muddle the point I was making! I meant to say "It doesn't even say, "Did you mean angels?" at the top..."
    It does (this week) question the on-line part, but my point was that it swaps angles for angels without saying anything.
    I suppose they're trying to support those with poor searching skills, but it's making searching more difficult to teach and is having an adverse effect on people who are quite clear about what they want. Isn't the whole point of a search engine that it gives you what you search for?
    It's obviously the modern way, though - it irritates me that Excel 2007 gives you the graph it wants to give you, instead of asking you what you want like previous versions did.