1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rejection email

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Dramakween, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Dramakween

Dramakween Occasional commenter

I applied for a job a few months ago, heard nothing and then got a very nice ‘unsuccessful’ email this week. What do we think: super-courteous school that values all applicants, or did I get close to shortlisting for interview?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Who knows? it's not something that anybody here can tell you for sure.

If I had to choose - I would say a well organised, courteous school who informed all applicants.

Redparrotfish likes this.
  3. 1stSgtWelsh

1stSgtWelsh New commenter

Yep. It's just part of the course I guess, but, I kind of resent not getting any response, especially after I've applied for organizations which require specialized forms, one page statements on how your experience is directly related to the position's requirements etc. To do a good job with the paperwork, it often takes several hours. Sorry, but, after all that, I think they should get back to you, even if it's just a generic e-mail telling you that you've missed out and thanks for trying. I know they will often say things like "only successful applicants will be contacted" in the job ad, but even so. Anyway, it's only happened to me once or twice and maybe that's just a personal pet peeve...

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Courteous. And it should be standard for anyone who makes it to the interview stage.

5. phat_sue

phat_sue New commenter

Agree, I got an email thanking me for interviewing and they’d be in touch before the 2nd of Nov....still waiting!

6. loislane1

loislane1 New commenter

How long is normal to wait to see if successful or not successful from an interview?

7. Dramakween

Of course, no one can answer my question for sure, but it's interesting to see what thoughts are. With the huge volume of applications for international jobs these days it seems pretty standard not to hear anything if you've not been shortlisted for interview. So much so that I was extremely surprised to receive a very nice, 'Thank you for taking the time ... unfortunately ... ', especially a few months on!

Personally, I think any school that can't be bothered to contact you after an interview really isn't worth working at.

loislane1 likes this.
  8. gulfgolf

[QUOTE="Personally, I think any school that can't be bothered to contact you after an interview really isn't worth working at.[/QUOTE]
    Well, sure, but if you never hear from them after the interview, it's not like you have the chance.

loislane1 likes this.
  9. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

When applying for jobs you should concentrate on the positives and when in doubt err to the eventuality that shines most positively on you...

Maintain a positive inner script/ dialogue.

Assume that you were close to shortlisting. That there were some "even better" candidates. Losing out to a better candidate is not a failing.

Of course this should spur you on to polish that CV and look at more establishments.

Don't dwell on things negatvely. It is a numbers game in the end.

suem75 and Dramakween like this.
  10. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

It's the schools that make you fill out a lengthy personalised form JUST FOR THEM and then don't send a rejection email which are the worst of the worst. If it's gonna be the same procedure (with a few names changed) as other schools and they don't reply...meh, it's not cost me a lot. Those forms that take an hour to fill out, however...

They include some prestigious - well, in their own minds - British international schools.

Breeze84 likes this.
  11. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"Yep. It's just part of the course I guess,"

Isn't the correct phrase - par for the course - t's a metaphor I think?

12. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

I am still waiting on a rejection email from a very a reputable school in Switzerland, I had 2 interviews for. I emailed them a week after the second interview, asking about the outcome (as I was to be informed at the start of that week), to be told by HR no decision had been made I was 'still in the running' and would hear from them soon. That was 18 months ago. So, it's very nice of them to send you an email to say you have been unsuccessful, even if it was months ago.

Teachallover likes this.
  13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I got a lovely rejection email from a school in Sweden yesterday for a job I applied to 3 months ago.

14. Dramakween

Yes, it’s nice to have one’s interest and effort acknowledged, even if it’s not positive news.

15. Breeze84

Breeze84 New commenter

I interviewed for a very reputable school nearly a month ago and I've heard nothing. Have to say it doesn't reflect well on the school given the time it takes to prepare a letter and to prepare for an interview. Very odd. Not even a mail to say when they would be informing candidates. Applicants are just supposed to wait patiently in the dark? Does not speak well for the organisational qualities of these schools if they cannot even get the basic courtesies right.

16. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I feel you have unrealistic expectations. International schools often receive thousands of applications and often advertise posts in anticipation of current staff moving on. It could be many months before you receive any response and you may receive no response at all. Keep applying. Do not stop applying while waiting for a response.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  17. Breeze84

Breeze84 New commenter

Thanks for the response. I haven´t stopped applying but I still think some indication about when decisions are going to be made is a minimum reasonable expectation to which most schools in my experience do adhere.

18. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

I disagree.

They already gave up their time interviewing him and he gave up his time. No response = lucky escape from that school.

19. gulfgolf

True. The question isn't about a response to a basic application. (Which I still think merits at least an auto-reply.) It's about a response after an actual interview. That deserves a personal note or call.

makhnovite and Teachallover like this.
  20. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Absolutely gulfers!