1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rejection due to degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by brit, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I have been rejected due to my degree not being of a high class.
    I went to uni along time ago and passed without honours, i still applied thinking maybe they would give me a chance due to my vast experience, but i guess this is not enough. You need the paper with the high qualification to get through in the end.
    Is there any chance i could appeal or ring the course leader? Will i even get on a PGCE now due to my degree?

Someone please advise.
    Thank you.

2. Hi.
    I have been rejected due to my degree not being of a high class.
    I went to uni along time ago and passed without honours, i still applied thinking maybe they would give me a chance due to my vast experience, but i guess this is not enough. You need the paper with the high qualification to get through in the end.
    Is there any chance i could appeal or ring the course leader? Will i even get on a PGCE now due to my degree?

Someone please advise.
    Thank you.

3. I'm not sure what advice to give, but maybe you could reach out the provider that rejected you and ask for more feeddback and possibley advice from them?

With multiple people applying for few places competition is high and ultimately the providers need a clear way to differentiate between applicants - so this falls on official qualifications like your degree.
    Perhaps if your degree isn't enough to get you onto the education based route so you could try the employment based route where you find a school to support you through a year as an unqualified teacher and at the end of the year you'd have QTS.

Maybe also call the TDA for advice on the different routes available.

4. I think it depends on the University and what your 'vast experience' consists of. I think you could still contact the University if you want more feedback. Maybe ask a few different Universities to get a general view of their policies and criteria. From what I have read up on most Universities seem to want at least a 2:1 but may still consider a 2:2 classification(?)

5. One of the problems you face is that PGCE courses are subject to inspection and grading by Ofsted. One of Ofsted's assessment criteria is the 'quality' of trainees accepted onto the course. Ofsted's standard measure of 'quality' is the degree classification. Courses that accept people with low qualifications therefore risk being negatively assessed by Ofsted.
    Maybe it's nonsense, maybe it's not ... but that is how it is!

6. What subject was your degree in and what do you want to teach?

I agree that you should consider employment based training, like the GTP. You say you have vast experience - in a school I presume? Would they consider training you? Perhaps it's worth a go.

This is a difficult situation because as another poster said, the level of applications versus places is crazy. They need to differentiate, and standard of education has to be the most obvious way to do so.

7. You could top your degree up to an honours through the Open University, it may also improve the class of your degree too, but I'm not sure, best to give them a ring.
    Teaching is massively oversubscribed so they have to have some deciding factors to whittle down the pile of applicants, shame they only looked at your degree.

8. might get lucky if its a shortage subject
    mostly need paper degree 2.2 level or above
    funding removed for anyone without atleast 2.2
    which is a shame because it means someone like carol vorderman cant teach me maths
    if its what you want go for it
    be persistant
    definitely a lateral problem here