1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rejected notice dilemma

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Georgia99, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am covering maternity leave. My contract states I am bound by the normal teacher notice periods despite it only being a maternity leave cover. The postholder told me she was returning in April so I gained a permanent post starting in May.
    At the beginning of March I found out she was no longer returning in April and so I submitted my resignation and asked to leave at the beginning of May. I have now had a reply stating that they will not agree and that I cannot leave until she returns. I asked if upon her return, whether they will keep me on until 31 August seeings as the contract states that they must also give me a term's notice. Their answer is 'no' and that I must leave upon her return.
    This seems very unfair to me. So do I contact my union rep? Or am I best off telling them that I am leaving despite them not agreeing. Obviously the reference situation is a concern but my new post is non teaching and I believe they already have a reference from my head.
    I really don't want to lose my permanent job offer over the sake of having to work an extra few weeks :-(

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Talk to your union. Your school does seem to be being unreasonable at best.
    Also talk to your new employer, and explain what's going on. This is just in case your school contacts them and claims that you're breaking contract, and the new employer is alarmed at that.
    (I did hear of someone who pulled out of a job they'd accepted at school A when school B offered them a job, but when school A told school B, school B withdrew their offer.)

3. So School B did exactly the same thing as the applicant had done and for which they were punishing her? Some moral compass!!