1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rejected again

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shadowkitten, Mar 18, 2019.

1. shadowkitten

shadowkitten New commenter

I was shortlisted for an Assistant Headteacher role last week and this afternoon they observed me teach a 30 minute lesson, the idea being that if I am successful I will progress through to interviews next week.

I worked so hard on this lesson, I planned it out so clearly, I knew exactly what I wanted from the lesson and when I actually taught the lesson I felt like I'd nailed it. The initial feedback immediately after the lesson was very positive, they said that I have strong differentiation and that the observer was fascinated watching the lesson because it was something that the class had never done before yet they were almost all successful. She also said that I scaffolded and resourced the lesson really well, which resulted in the students being successful. I asked if there was anything that the observer felt I could have improved in the lesson and she said that she would've had a backup challenge for the lowest 6 students for when they finished their task, all the other groups were fine and no other comments were made about the lesson.

I was so sure that I'd be asked to interview, I don't think I could've taught any better than I did and I was really happy with the lesson I had planned and how it had gone.

So I was quite shocked to be told that I wouldn't be taken on to the interviews next week. I was only observed an hour and a half ago-- I asked whether or not the observer thought I should improve on anything & she only gave me one small comment, why wouldn't she have given me more if I didn't do a good enough job to be taken forward?

I feel really, really rubbish right now.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Bad luck. Sounds like there was nothing more that you could have done. As to the reason why they didn't invite you to interview - it could be anything. It may be the others did even more amazing lessons. Or they did not as good but in a style the current SLT want or... Whatever reason, chances are you were not going to fit in to what they had in mind.

I realise it's easy for me to say, but try not to let it bother you. Something else will come along. Someone who appreciates you for being you and you'll fit in perfectly. Wishing you lots of luck on the next one.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

My commiserations. I KNOW how hard it is to keep applying after rejections, especially many rejections.

Who knows why you weren't taken forward. Interview panels are a law unto themselves. It is a guessing game, a very unpleasant one.

Just keep trying. Good luck for the next one.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

It isn't you. Keep applying.

Schools have cliques, politics, friends of friends, internal candidates, in fighting and more.

digoryvenn and agathamorse like this.