1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rejected (again) and once again the 'experience' card was played

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1369, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Well I didnt get the job! Feedback involved the 'we wanted someone with more experience' card. I am NQT and this was only my 5th interview yet I have had this feedback at every single one. They can clearly see that I am an NQT so why even bother inviting me to interview if they dont want one?
    The interview itself was the best one I have done, the lesson the worst! My lessons are normally always really good (according to feedback) but this one went horribly wrong. The students were not really interested particularly as the lesson before was conducted by another candidate and they were full hour lessons.
    My first experience of a student council interview was very scary. There was around 15 students! Some of whom asked more than one question. So I was bombarded with questions including talk about my education/career history and hobbies/interests. Apparently the students complained I was too friendly and they want somebody who is strict (who mrs trunchball??)
    I still get upset after each rejection and admit I do cry for a bit! I just want a job!
    The job hunt continues...

2. Well I didnt get the job! Feedback involved the 'we wanted someone with more experience' card. I am NQT and this was only my 5th interview yet I have had this feedback at every single one. They can clearly see that I am an NQT so why even bother inviting me to interview if they dont want one?
    The interview itself was the best one I have done, the lesson the worst! My lessons are normally always really good (according to feedback) but this one went horribly wrong. The students were not really interested particularly as the lesson before was conducted by another candidate and they were full hour lessons.
    My first experience of a student council interview was very scary. There was around 15 students! Some of whom asked more than one question. So I was bombarded with questions including talk about my education/career history and hobbies/interests. Apparently the students complained I was too friendly and they want somebody who is strict (who mrs trunchball??)
    I still get upset after each rejection and admit I do cry for a bit! I just want a job!
    The job hunt continues...

3. akirk

akirk New commenter

Hey CrazyChemist,
    I know it's really awful to not get the job and I know how you feel - it was the same with me when I was an NQT, nobody wanted to give me the job of inexperience, which became this stupid vicious cycle because if you don't get hired, how are you going to get the experience?!!
    But look at the positives;
    • You've had 5 interviews, which means your application forms/CV must be excellent, many people aren't even getting shortlisted these days!
    • You've handled a student council interview - and now know what to expect next time. And "too friendly" - each to their own, eh?
    • You said the interview was the best you've done, so you can really hone your answers and let the panel see who they're hiring - fantastic for your confidence, right?
    So you didn't get it. In the end, my mum always says 'what's for you won't go by you' - and you will find something, think of each interview as an experience in its own right and reflect on how it went. 3 years ago I was an NQT and I left the UK to find a job abroad because I was considered too inexperienced - I moved back last January and got a job in a great school, so there are always other options if you're getting nowhere.
    Good luck and stay positive!

4. akirk

akirk New commenter

Oops, I meant to write 'nobody gave my the job because of inexperience'