1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reject by default

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by elainechris, Jan 14, 2016.

1. elainechris

elainechris New commenter

I've applied for a school direct salaried place and had my task day and interview.

Its coming close to the 40 working days until they have to have replied by, which is the 26th of January and i still havent heard anything.

I've been looking it up and past applications would be rejected by default but I don't know if this is still happening within ucas.

I'm wondering if its a good idea to send a friendly warning the ITT provider that i applied to that it is coming close to this date and when i applied to another place they weren't even aware of this deadline

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

That happened to me a couple of years ago - don't know if it's still the same, but what happened was UCAS automatically passed the application on to the next choice on my list when the deadline was reached, even though they hadn't received confirmation from the training provider yet. That training provider then offered me an interview after the deadline - the UCAS system allowed them to do that. I wouldn't bother contacting the provider if I were you, if they are too busy to reject you on the system they'll be too busy to respond to any email you send, and if you phone it'll just be put on a to-do list!

3. s_tariq

s_tariq New commenter

Hi, I attended my school direct interview yesterday and today I have been told by the ITT coordinator that the school where I had my interview was impressed by my teaching and that I had passed my interview. They felt that I had subject knowledge and they have recommended me for the training. However they said that they think that I don't fit in their maths dept as I was over confident, which of course don't make sense to me. ITT coordinator has confirmed verbally though that I had passed the interview stage now but she has to find me a school for placement. But however, if she is not able to find me a place within next one month by default my application will be rejected. I think this is quite disheartening for me. I have passed it but have no school for now to commence my training.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am surprised they have been so upfront with you. If they don't feel you fit in with the department though then that is a fairly big issue. I would say more important than passing the interview to be honest. In most interviews for jobs the teacher can teach. It normally will come down to whether they like you and you will fit in. It is a deal breaker.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The real situation with school direct ( despite Government hype)is that there are not enough places available and priority is anyway given to the Maths and Science areas. As these posts are jobs in schools passing an interview in one school does not automatically mean you would get a post somewhere else. Hopefully the lead teaching school who "manages" school direct should be helping with the allocation of places between the partner schools involved- but practice is variable!