1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rehearsal in interview?!

Discussion in 'Music' started by manuscript2007, Mar 21, 2012.

1. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

Hi everyone, just hoping for some advice.
    I have an interview for a job that I would love, and part of it includes an observed rehearsal. Clearly extra-curricular is high on their agenda! THey've sent me the music, which I am going through very carefully because I don't know it, but what would you want a candidate to do in this observed rehearsal?
    Do's and Don'ts....what should I avoid? Anything you think I definitely SHOULD do?
    THanks in advance.....a slightly freaked out candidate! x

2. manuscript2007

Hi everyone, just hoping for some advice.
    I have an interview for a job that I would love, and part of it includes an observed rehearsal. Clearly extra-curricular is high on their agenda! THey've sent me the music, which I am going through very carefully because I don't know it, but what would you want a candidate to do in this observed rehearsal?
    Do's and Don'ts....what should I avoid? Anything you think I definitely SHOULD do?
    THanks in advance.....a slightly freaked out candidate! x

3. This is certainly common in the independent sector. What piece and with what kind of group? I think they will want to see appropriate tuning/warm ups, appropriate level of musicianship and conducting skills, good manner and control, a balance between working on individual parts and run throughs and a sense of fun and enjoyment for the students. That all sounds really obvious, but I really believe that's it.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

As hammondist says, a lot depends on the piece, type of group (vocal, orchestral, jazz band etc) and standard of performers.
    I often used to ask applicants to take a rehearsal (independent sector again) and would look for the qualities that hammondist has outlined - plus matters such as correcting intonation, posture, ensemble (unanimity of attack), creation of clear moods in the performance, pace of the rehearsal and so on.
    Obviously, you won't be able to decide precisely how to tackle the job until you've heard the first few phrases of the performance! You may need to work on basic note-bashing - in which case I recommend trying to get a small section up to scratch rather than attempting too much.

5. The students participating may also have been told to ONLY follow your instructions so make sure your first one is that you want them to sing/ play to the best of their ability observing all of the directions on the score!

6. manuscript2007

that's crafty Trinter - I will remember that one!

7. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

I had to do this for an interview once. It was daunting but actually went fine in the end. It was for a choir of 80?! I think the above advice is all sound and accurate. I also factored in a bit of yoga as part of the warm up... and got the job!! [​IMG]
    Firebird