1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Regular supply-heard of Internal teaching post

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by VelvetChalk, Mar 24, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I work one day a week in a school as the permanent teacher wanted to go down to 4 days, I also do all their general supply cover if I am available. I get on well in the school and have built up a rapport with a lot of the staff and the head is always pleasant but I dont see her much. This Thursday they are advertising a position for a teacher internally for next year. The class it is for is my class at the moment, and while I like them a lot there are 2-3 children who are quite disruptive and to put it bluntly...need assessment. As a NQT I am desperate for a job (and I know I would be 1 of 4 applicants) but I am worried these 3 children will 'fail' my NQT year as Ive not had any support for them so far and its a one form entry school so I would have a lot of planning and would prefer to plan with another teacher as its one of my weaker points.
    I am worried about applying for it and not getting it (other 2 applicants are well liked students and the other supply) but I am worried if I dont go for it it will look like I dont like the school (Which is not the case). Help!

2. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Go for it! It's a job opportunitiy and there aren't that many around these days. Not to mention the drop in supply work year on year. After all, at the very least you might get some good interview experience - and if you don't get the job, you can still do supply for them (though it is hard the first time you go in if you have not got the job).
    WRT the disruptive children - how much have you been able to bring your own behaviour strats into play (in line with the school's behaviour policy of course)? Being the teacher one day a week is very different from having the class to yourself right from the start of the year. You don't mention whether you have been able to start your induction year yet; if you haven't, don't forget you would be entitled to a further 10% NQT time, which could be spent addressing areas that you would like to improve.
    On the subject of advertising internally - all posts are supposed to be advertised externally (even if, as we all know, internal candidates do have an upper hand, not least from knowing the school already) - so it may be that there will be other candidates in the mix too.Whatever you decide, supply is very hard and you would be amazed at just how much this experience will already stand you in good stead.
    Good luck!

3. As far as the disruptive children go you should have support through the schools behaviour policy and also their SENCO. The children should at least be on the SEN register and the SENCO should be able to offer support and advice on line with their IEPs. If they aren't on sen list then your first job would be to have the monitored by yourself if they became your class. You probably already know a lot about what makes them tick etc and may be underestimating yourself. Definitely go for the job.

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

The children in question have not been monitored/observed this year and do not have statements or IEPs or any special charts/plans set for them in the classroom. The school's behaviour policy does not seem to work and I know by speaking to parents they are at their wits end with them also. I discussed both children with their regular teacher and TA and they both shrugged it off about it and said something would probs get done next year. I asked them if the SenCo was aware and got a similar response. I have used some of my own things to help them but it does not seem to work and it is different for the other 4 days of the week anyway. Its getting to the point where I have to let one of them do their own thing as the rest of the class suffer, and I am always chasing her as she escapes the classroom/plays with dangerous things at every opportunity. If it was any other class Id be chomping at the bit for the job...argh!

5. WeeMcBeastie

WeeMcBeastie New commenter

I would definitely go for it. I had a horrendous class for my NQT year 18/25 kids on the SEN register and 12 of them for behaviour. I am not saying it was easy, there were times when I felt as if I wasn't getting anywhere. I had supportive colleagues and I learnt a lot during that year in terms of classroom management and teaching children with SEN. The most important thing is that you will be in a supportive school you enjoy working in which will make a big difference.

6. Not all posts have to be advertised externally.

7. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Disappointing for you - but take heart from the fact that they are encouraging you to apply for other posts in the school as and when they come up. Take it as a sign that they like having you in the school, they could have avoided the issue about other jobs in the school.