1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Regular supply - days i can't work - who sets cover?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mulv2222, Jan 6, 2016.

1. mulv2222

mulv2222 New commenter

Basically since half term i've worked 2 days a week in a school - working directly for them. They have since asked if i'll stay on until Easter. There are a fews days i can't do as i had already committed to other things. Who will set the cover work for the supply teacher coming in? I don't feel like it should be me (i plan my days when i'm in) as i'm only paid for the days i work...?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you've committed to a school for a term I would think you'd actually prefer to set the work, so it fits in with your own planning and doesn't affect students learning!

I presume you've some PPA time? Use part of one of those to set the planning is my advice for what it's worth.

3. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I had the same dilemma in my last role which was full time for the autumn term. When I had interviews lined up I became concerned that they would have to get supply...for the supply! However, they were very understanding and, as Lara points out, its easier for you to set work you want covered. As you are on long term supply it would be an expectation of the role as opposed to general cover. You are only two days but I presume its the same days with the same classes and therefore continuity should be the schools main priority and, by virtue of committing to the longer term, yours as well. It sounds like its only a few days absence so its not like you are setting work for several weeks.

4. mulv2222

mulv2222 New commenter

Unfortunately this half term out of the 6 weeks, i can only work 3 of them so it's actually quite a lot. I get info from the other teacher that informs my planning - hmm...not sure how this will work...

5. splinters

splinters Established commenter

That's 6 days to cover. If they are consecutive days that would mean a gap of 4 weeks between lessons so I would expect the senior teacher to be making some contribution. If they are HOD they may well be accountable for any negative effects of your absence. However, if not consecutive, remember that for the students you teach on those days you might as well be full time as its your face they see every lesson they have timetabled with you. I'm looking at this from a practical point of view rather than ethical. What do you feel is best for the students you teach...and then ask if you feel it is fair i.e. you only teach one of three lessons while the other teacher takes the rest...and may well be a subject leader.

6. mulv2222

mulv2222 New commenter

Apologies, this is for year 1 primary. I should have mentioned that!

7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I am guessing you are not under contract to the school but have some 'loose' arrangement that you come in on a daily supply basis for two days each week, I've assumed this because you say you are only paid for the days you work ie no pay during school holidays.

If that's the case then you are under no obligation to set work for the days you are unavailable. If the school want commitment from you then they need to give you a proper contract of employment - commitment works both ways.

I am hearing more and more reports from teachers who have given up permanent posts due to stress etc only to find that schools are happy to employ them directly or via an agency, on an ad hoc basis (a few weeks at a time) at an inferior daily rate and expect them to carry out all of the duties of a permanent member of staff eg attend parent's evenings, complete tracking data, attend staff meetings etc. It smacks of exploitation.

8. Caldwellthe1

Caldwellthe1 New commenter

Regular supply no longer exists.