1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Registration/tutorial activities for 6th form

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lucyrose50, Feb 7, 2012.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I have a Y13 form and I see them for 25 minutes every morning and 10
    minutes in an afternoon for registration. This extended morning
    registration was a new thing this year and is supposed to be used for tutorial type activities, but we were assured that it wasn't an extra thing that form tutors had to plan because
    sufficient resources would be planned and provided (who by??!).
    Unfortunately it hasn't worked out like that and although the first term
    was basically doing UCAS applications and suchlike, since Christmas
    I've been really struggling to find something to do every morning and
    it's adding an increasing amount of time to my lesson planning. I feel like the time is basically being wasted and I know my form don't really see the point of it.
    Does
    anyone have any bright ideas? We do a quiz every Friday (which I create), I've tried doing a weekly current affairs day where we look at news headlines and discuss them but they're really not enthused by this at all and it's impossible to drag it out for 25 minutes, I've tried getting them involved in working with
    younger forms (2 of my department have Y7 forms) but that has fizzled out as the other form tutors don't seem bothered about having any of my form helping out...any and all suggestions welcome!

2. Hi Lucyrose
    I also have a Y13 tutor group, and this term we are doing some activities on finance - some relevant resources/discussion starters on budgets, good and bad debts, saving money etc are in the Teen Cash Class resources and might give you some ideas....
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/Teenagers-cash-class
    I hope this helps!
    Liz