1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Registration tasks

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher1974, May 18, 2011.

1. I have a sheet with week's spellings written in cursive script down the side and a column for each day of the week. They copy out their spelling list daily then turn over for a drawing and colouring task to improve fine motor skills. It amazed me how poor their drawing and colouring was at the start of the year but then I realised that the timetable is so busy, they rarely get the chance to do it for fun! Works well and the quicker ones then read or use a dictionary to check meanings, thesaurus to find synonyms etc.

2. eross1981

eross1981 New commenter

3. I have some kind of 'stimulus' on the board and as chn. sit on the carpet they have to answer the register with a short word of phrase to respond to whatever is on the board
    Eg.
    • put up a kandinsky picture and tell them to answer with a shape they can see
    • Put up "if I know that 4 x 2 = 8, what else do I know?" they answer with "8 / 4 = 2" etc...
    • Put up the word 'said' or 'nice' and ask for better alternatives
    [​IMG]

4. Midgelou49

Midgelou49 New commenter

I looked on the internet for something for the children to do when they came and found a website made just for that:

www.goodmorningchildren.com

You have to pay but its always there for that odd moment and there is lots of different things on there to do.

Hope that helps

MissLauraLouB
    x

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Whereas this is what I do as they come in and settle on the carpet. Once everyone is there I take the register while they sit quietly. 10 mins after the bell goes we are done and ready for the day. But they are year 6 so can come in and settle on the carpet without too much fuss. This 'time for them' first thing prevents so much emotional baggage making its way into lesson time it saves a lot of time and hassle later in the day.

6. I'd love a copy of your power point too please, I will send you a message with my email address.
    Regards

7. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am interested in hearing more about the Professor Leyton problems what are these?

8. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Message sent thanks :)

9. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I find it very difficult to take the register and dinner register as the children have to put their seats down and change their shoes and they are forever talking during this after warnings :(.

10. RegencyRob,
    Any chance you could you send me a copy of the powerpoint you describe, it sounds great!
    Many thanks,
    Michelle
    mich.c@btinternet.com

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Does 'on the carpet' mean sitting on the actual carpet? For Year 6?

12. I've used these before https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/SODA-bookStart-of-Day-Activities-3009296/
    And just found this which seems similar at first glance https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Thinking-Keys-6073010/

13. could i please have a copy of your powerpoint too:)

Thank you

tuezde@hotmail.co.uk

14. If anyone else would like a copy please inbox me as I have not been checking this thread!
    [​IMG]

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can't speak for others, but it does in my classroom yes. Unless they get there pretty quickly, then they get the cushions.

The other year 6 class in our school complain continually that they don't have any 'carpet area' in their room. Their teacher thinks they are too old and so arranged his room differently. Mine like the 'cosiness' of the carpet, especially the addition of cushions and blankets.

16. rocketdog you have mail

17. I use http://professorlayton2walkthrough.blogspot.com/ to get the puzzles from (sometimes I screen print, type out, recreate on the smartboard etc) and the kids have to really think to work out the answers. Some of them are pretty hard to be honest but I tend to try and pick the easier ones. (I'm in Y6).

18. Still can't create links/paragraphs etc on this laptop so will have to copy and paste the web address into your browser. The puzzles are numbered down the right hand side.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think it is terribly sad when I see classrooms without book corners. Even in middle school (years 5-8) we had book corners. And in one of the two I worked in all classrooms had, and used, carpet areas.

20. I agree with you but many of ours were converted to computer areas many years ago and are now too small to fit the children inside. Therefore valuable classroom space is given over to a carpet area and the rest of the room is squashed.