1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Registering with an agency

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Physallis, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hello. I just wondered if people have had luck registering with an agency for international job searches. Are the fairs worth going to? Have people had success with getting offers of employment etc? Am considering registering with one of the big boys but just wondered if people have had positive experiences? Thanks.

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I have had some positive experiences with Search Associates. Yes, their jobfairs are worth going to, even though the paperwork beforehand can be a bit daunting. Of course it can be rather expensive to go to a jobfair and there is no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

3. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi you need 4 completed references to be invited to a fair and be fully registered. These are online via email. The upside for referees is that they complete them once and many emploees can see them. Of course these need to be 4 good refs!

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Thanks for that Nemo. Four references seems somewhat extreme, with two being the norm, and occasionally three. I assume that online via email means that the process, for the referee is fairly lengthy and tiresome. This means that if Search Associates doesn't come up with the goods, then they have gone a long way to exhausting the good will of your referees, who you will now need to ask for further references: this is my concern.

To be a bit Machiavellian, I suppose you could invent four school websites and then write your own references in response to the emails. It would be a bit time consuming, but not too difficult, and not that easy to uncover if you chose some less accessible countries.

5. David, are you being serious? I can think of plenty of reasons why inventing your own references is a particularly bad idea (for Search, or any other reason). I guess you would not be considering this, with it being a Machiavellian thing and all.
    As I understand it, your referees have to fill out a form which doesn't involve a lot of typing in the way that writing a reference from scratch would. They only have to do this once.
    I joined search, it was a bit of a hassle sorting it out. I didn't go to a fair of theirs but I did use their data bases to check out the schools I was thinking of applying to and you get a good insight into the school through this information. I could also keep tabs on which jobs were coming up and at which schools. Although I got my job under my own steam, I would still recommend them, if just for the information they have, a lot of which you can't find on their websites. Plus, if you are in the UK, they can't charge you for their services apparently.

6. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I've used two of the main ones, one of whom charges you to join (and the searching employer)and asks for notified docs and the other is free; they charge the employer. I've been offered 3 jobs in the last 2 years within weeks of regsitering so I'd say they are well worth it. Two of the positions were with very good schools too.
    The agency that was asking for notified docs (which are expensive in the UK) didn't seem to bothered once the job offers came in AND were constantly sending me further offers even though they had placed me, including one for the head teacher position at my own school (ha, ha) so possibly a slight weakness in their record keeping.
    One would assume if you consider yourself a good teacher, have some referees who back that up, agencies can only increase your options.

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Not, for myself of course, and with my on-line presence it would be impossible for me to pull it off. I was merely doing the devil's advocate bit, in the event that the agency relies solely on emails. However, I'd be very surprised if this trick hasn't been pulled quite a few times.

More seriously, Revivaldrum and Frog, thanks for the helpful information. If it's not going to alienate my referees, I might just give Search Associates a try. I'm getting the impression that quite a few jobs never make it onto the school website or the likes of TES.

8. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

Not sure if it is a pre-requiste but Search also like parents to be part of the data gathering process. I've just gone through it and got interviewed off of the website so heads do look at the info. Spoke to referees as well and they said wasn't that onerous.

Just an aside David seen your cv, was intrigued from another post, and you shouldn't worry about reference writing being onerous as you have so many schools to choose from!!