1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Registered Teacher Programme

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MissLucyHallewell, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I wonder if you are able to help me. I studied at Brighton University for two years on a Primary Education with QTS (5-11 years) BA(Hons) with QTS course, unfortunately after this time I came to realise that University wasn't for me. I have now been working for Kent County Council for two years and as much as I have tried to keep early years and education at the forefront of my career within KCC, I have come to realise that nothing is more rewarding and enjoyable than working directly with children.
    <font face="Arial"></font>I am now looking at my options with regards to returning to a teaching career. I felt that the majority of my learning happened through my teaching placements and have discovered that I progress further when learning via a 'hands-on' approach. After much research, I have discovered that it is possible to gain QTS whilst teaching, via the Registered Teacher Programme. I have looked at the information regarding this topic on the TDA website and my local council's (Medway) and understand that I need to find a school that would be willing to take me on as an unqualified teacher under the RTP programme. I have a school in mind that may be willing to do this, however how do I go about applying to my local RTP provider?

Would you be able to provider me with any further information with regards to the RTP and it's delivery, along with information on the application process and the likelihood of gaining a place?Lucy :)

2. I wonder if you are able to help me. I studied at Brighton University for two years on a Primary Education with QTS (5-11 years) BA(Hons) with QTS course, unfortunately after this time I came to realise that University wasn't for me. I have now been working for Kent County Council for two years and as much as I have tried to keep early years and education at the forefront of my career within KCC, I have come to realise that nothing is more rewarding and enjoyable than working directly with children.
    <font face="Arial"></font>I am now looking at my options with regards to returning to a teaching career. I felt that the majority of my learning happened through my teaching placements and have discovered that I progress further when learning via a 'hands-on' approach. After much research, I have discovered that it is possible to gain QTS whilst teaching, via the Registered Teacher Programme. I have looked at the information regarding this topic on the TDA website and my local council's (Medway) and understand that I need to find a school that would be willing to take me on as an unqualified teacher under the RTP programme. I have a school in mind that may be willing to do this, however how do I go about applying to my local RTP provider?

Would you be able to provider me with any further information with regards to the RTP and it's delivery, along with information on the application process and the likelihood of gaining a place?Lucy :)

3. If you're in Kent, Canterbury Uni offer the RTP. Have a look at their website http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/education/employment-based-routes/programmes/rtp.aspx - it should give you the information you need or you could give them a call.

4. Hi Lucy
    Although the RTP will not be available from the academic year 2012 onwards, you can still do a form of on the job training in a hands on environment through the graduate teacher programme. You would need to top up your degree to a full honours degree and you could do this through distance learning while you are in your present role. The fact that you already have a school in mind to act as your sponsor is fantastic and will benefit your application process. You can find information and contact details for GTP providers here: www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/gtp.aspx
    Good luck in your future teaching career
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency