1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reggio Emilia Approach in Reception... Urgent help needed please!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kvp, Jul 5, 2012.

1. kvp

kvp

Hey!
    I was wondering if I could pick some of your brains. Myself and the Foundation Stage co-ordinator visited Reggio Emilia in the beginning of June and are now trying to think of how to implement this approach within our early years setting. The thing that we are struggling the most with is how to plan and organise staff particularly in regards to our Reception children. Obviously we have got all the standards that we need to met and get our children reach by the time they leave Reception.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips of how to implement this approach within our setting and how to plan to ensure that the children are recieving the experiences they need to meet the expected outcomes by the end of the year.
    I will be extermely grateful for any help you can give [​IMG]

2. kvp

kvp

Hey!
    I was wondering if I could pick some of your brains. Myself and the Foundation Stage co-ordinator visited Reggio Emilia in the beginning of June and are now trying to think of how to implement this approach within our early years setting. The thing that we are struggling the most with is how to plan and organise staff particularly in regards to our Reception children. Obviously we have got all the standards that we need to met and get our children reach by the time they leave Reception.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips of how to implement this approach within our setting and how to plan to ensure that the children are recieving the experiences they need to meet the expected outcomes by the end of the year.
    I will be extermely grateful for any help you can give [​IMG]

3. mehmetdan

mehmetdan New commenter

It is very difficult to transport a curriculum from one culture to another. The EYFS does incorporate some aspects of Reggio but it is also a hotch potch of lots of other ideas from around the world. I would suggest that you take the aspects you liked from your visit and adapt them so they meet the needs of the children in your setting.
    I have done quite a bit of study on Reggio so if you have anymore questions I will try to help if I can but your question above is very vague.

4. Could you give a summary of the Reggio approach?

5. kvp

kvp

Thanks for replying to the post - the thing we are struggling most with is how to plan the experiences for the chn? E.g. To ensure that there is not lots of adult directed happening and the chns learning is more fluid. How do we ensure that all the chn are gaining the skills to count, calculate etc as well as being given more creative experiences? Do you still plan for adult directed activities as well as project work or should it all be covered during the project work?

The way we work at the moment is very free flow and the chn work with an adult for about half an hour for adult directed activities and the results we have been getting are really good and we obviously want to ensure that we still get these results.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

What are your "results". Does Reggio Emillia get "results" and are these the same concerns or are they measuring something else?

7. I agree with mehmetdan Reggio is a phiosophy that is wonderful but not so easy to just transfer to our Uk school system. If you have been to Reggio Emilia then you will have been filled by the wonderful love of learning and one another that is evident in their schools and also by the deep professional way in which they all work together. Theeri are two books you may find useful they are Bringing Reggio Emilia Home and Bringing Learning to Life by Louise Boyd Cadwell. These may give you a starting point. Good Luck!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

What follow-up has been on the Reggio children? Much as I hate to think of our Italian colleagues enduring mountains of paperwork, it would be interesting to get a wider picture.

9. mehmetdan

mehmetdan New commenter

You're right inky - RE has been criticised for its lack of scrutable evidence. RE say their 'pedagogy of documentation' is their evidence.
    It has also been found that RE children find it difficult to adjust to the school system once they leave their pre-schools.