1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Regaining or just gaining control and promoting positive behaviour?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sillysloth, Mar 14, 2016.

1. sillysloth

sillysloth New commenter

I am a not yet qualified teacher working on supply until summer before I begin my probation year next year. For the past 4 weeks I have been working two days a week in a P3/4. I should be sharing the class with the PT however the position has been vacant and the head has been covering the other three days. When I first started I was mainly concerned about planning/teaching as the plans had not been updated for a while and I couldn't make sense of the format, however over the past month I've put in some serious hours clawing stuff together and was beginning to feel like I knew what I was doing(-ish). Cue today.

The behaviour has been horrific. Kids coming in to class singing, shouting, walking between desks having full volume conversations. Constant background noise. At least 4 kids per lesson asking what they should be doing after me explaining, modelling, having another child explain etc. There is one boy in the class with real behaviour issues who threw things around the class, ripped displays off the wall and wiped work off the board. Every time I tried to diffuse the situation with him chaos erupted elsewhere. Another (new) pupil was in tears because she misses her old school and another (also new) was caught kicking her partner under the table.

Every time I come in it seems the head has implemented a new behaviour strategy and none of them have been explained to me. There is a traffic light and personal points display on the wall - neither of the new pupils are on this and it's being used totally inconsistently. Personally, I hate traffic light behaviour management but I don't know if this is the time of year to take it down.

I'm the 5th teacher they've had this year and clearly there is no consistency. Plus me being totally inexperienced means I don't know how to fix this situation. Since getting home this evening I've done some googling and come up with this advice - http://www.smartclassroommanagement...you-realize-youve-lost-control-of-your-class/

Experienced teachers here, can you please weigh in?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

There is a book I always recommend called Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix.

Try to implement some routines. You really have to think about what routines you need and how to teach these.

Speak to the other teacher and agree on three simple rules:

Follow instructions fast
    Stay on task
    Work without disturbing others

Ask the children what kind of rewards they like: post cards home, free time on the computer, tea and biscuits. Do not offer material rewards.

You will have to have resolve made of steel to get back order in this class. Start with the rules, the routines, and rewards. Get a copy of Taking Care of Behaviour since I do think you could get some ideas to help.

3. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

I second the book recommendation. I'm struggling with behaviour myself at the moment, but I'm using the strategies in the book to try and get some order and so far (though I have got some way to go) they are working.
    It can be soul destroying dealing with the type of class you describe - I was almost at leaving point last week but this week has been better, and I find that having a plan for behaviour is paying off.
    Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. sillysloth

sillysloth New commenter

Thank you both! I'm looking to see if the book is available from a local library as I haven't been paid yet this year and went into my overdraft yesterday filling up my car. Another layer of stress.

TBH on Monday I was ready to walk. I really didn't want to go back yesterday. Part of me just wants to give it up until I start my probation year in August - I could be tutoring in the evenings for twice what I'm being paid hourly just now, minus the stress, actually get paid up front and I've done it for years so I have all the resources. But I reason that if I bail from a difficult class just now I could end up with a similarly difficult class in August and have missed all this experiences.

Ugh. No supply today. Tempted to stay in bed.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If the library does not have a copy, askmthem to buy a copy. Sometimes they will order books that people request.