1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refusing work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Harriet_20, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Hi all,

My agency rang me this morning asking me if I was free to work in nursery in a town which is about a good 40-50mins away. I was reluctant, 1 because I would be working until 6 (not feeling 100%) and 2 because it was nursery work. For the first 3 days of this week I had been working at a nursery my agency had put me in and although it was ok, really not for me. So in the end she said to me in a nice sort of way, are you saying that you don't want to help me out, I said I'm so sorry but yes as nursery work isn't really for me. I feel so so guilty now and worried that they may be reluctant to find me work because I refused to do this day. Plus, of the two agencies that I'm with they are the one that has found me the most work!

2. I said no to the agency I am with once. I felt really bad but I thought it was too far away (then discovered it was just a short train ride) and as I had a long term placement coming up I wasn't too concerned about the money element. You just have to go with what you feel on the day. At the moment I would say yes to nearly anything but when it gets busier I might be a bit more picky. My agency were fine with me about saying no though especially when I explained afterwards that I was mistaken about the distance. At the end of the day they are the ones getting you the work so maybe next time they phone just say a quick "sorry I couldn't do that day last week I wasn't feeling well" just to make them feel a bit better. I hope that cheers you up a bit. I think everyone says no sometimes.

3. Thanks Emily4. I feel a little better, but think I will give my agency a ring tomorrow explaining that I wasn't feeling too great and that it would have taken me the best part of an hour to get there, I just hope I don't have a black mark against my name for saying no. One person I spoke to, who works at this same agency, told me that people who aren't really bothered or flexible generally get put to the back of the pile when finding work for them- I don't want to be one of those people!

4. Yeah give them a call and explain it.I know that some people are against agencies etc and think we are being owned by them but at the end of the day work is work. You don't want one decision to ruin your chances. I wouldn't have though saying no once would be too bad but call them anyway better to err on the side of caution calling them might also lead to more work as you'll be fresh in their heads.

5. I wouldn't worry about it. Turning down work on one occasion will not blacklist you. If you turn down lots of work offered or accept work then cancel at short notice they'll start to offer it to others.
    A day in a nursery when you're not feeling well is not going to be enjoyable.
    Consultants can often be a bit snappy on the phone, as they make money from being able to get someone in, but the relationship works both ways.
    I am fairly flexible - will travel a fair distance and will take nursery or TA work at quiet times, but I have turned work down when I've not fancied it or the travelling was just too far. I still get offered lots of work through that agency.
    I have asked for more money before when I've not fancied travelling 1 and a half hours for a TA day. The agency were desperate to fill the role so paid me more. School was horrible, but it earned me brownie points for helping them out.

6. urg, I hate it when they do that. I have one agency where a certain agency tries to pressure me into doing work I don't want to do. It's not fair, they are only thinking about themselves.

I know how you feel, I've worried too but from my experience it doesn't effect the amount of work you are offered when you do it every once in a while. It probably would if you did it all the time but not a one off. It also means that they know you can stick up for yourself and won't say yes to everything, I have found I am offered more quality work nearer to me once they know that.

7. I am registered with a four agencies and getting work through two of them. Earlier this week I got a call from two of them in one morning - one asking me to go to a school that I had already been to and hated (children's behaviour, staff attitudes and general atmosphere in the school). I said that I didn't want to do it. This is the second school that I have turned down work for with this particular agency, due to going there before. I know it sounds bad, but even though I need the money, I would much rather not go through the stress of a bad school and end up with no voice at the end of the day. I hope this hasn't affected if they give me any future work...but who knows.

8. The expression 'are you saying that you don't want to help me out?', is an expression that, if uttered, should be punishable by at least a poke in the eyeballs with a rancid nail. What an ANNOYING thing for her/him to say! So guilt-tripping and manipulative. Don't feel bad about refusing work - as you can see from this forum, there are lots of supply teachers who will do the work if it's not 'your bag'.[​IMG]

9. Totally agree with tunderdog, what the agent actually meant was don't you want to help me out earning a lot of commission for making a simple phone call.
    I often turn down work if it's 40 or 50 minutes away because when I do a day supply I always hope it will lead to more work in a school, I really don't have much interest in forming a relationship with a school 40 minutes away because it wouldn't be practical in my particular situation.

10. I turn it around and tell them I don't want to do a **** job and make us both look bad so I'd rather take the stuff I'm good at. Depends whether you've got a decent relationship with them or they're just of the "get a warm body, any body in front of the class" brigade.

11. Are you a qualified nursery nurse or a qualified teacher? If the latter, then why should you feel guilty about doing a job that you are massively overqualified for and will be paid much less than you are entitled to. I sympathis tho - the agencies have us by the short and curlies and I am rubbish at being assertive with them too most of the time! They are out for themselves and the money they can make; they will be charming and lovely when things are going their way but absolute b****** when things aren't.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I started supply in Feb this year and have refused to work in two schools, One was the school I left in December, and the other was a school where (after two visits) I disliked the attitude of their students and the lousy rate of pay I was offered for driving an hour there and back to behaviour manage them. I've also said I won't do half days on Cover Supervisor rates because frankly I could earn more by spending a couple of hours flogging old tat on eBay or doing a car boot sale.

This has had no discernible impact on the availability of other supply work, and I still enjoy a very positive relationship with the agency.

Remember that (like it or not) you're an ambassador for the agency and they're competing with other agencies for schools. If you go in and do a bad job somewhere because you're not qualified or experienced enough, the chances are the school will give up on your agency, and nobody else will get work there. I see nothing wrong in turning down work from time to time if you're not happy with the sound of it, and if you have a good reason. I'm sure there are more supply teachers registered for work than are working at present, so there'll be no shortage of alternatives.

13. WOW thanks everyone for the posts of advice and support. I am a qualified teacher and so having already done 3 days work in a nursery this week I certainly wasn't prepared to do another day and this time have a good hours journey to get there and another to get home!!! Furthermore my throat was feeling a bit sore and I knew that I had a days supply today and certainly didn't want to make it worse!

I did ring my agency today and explained the situation, though I left out the details of what exactly was said to me, and this consultant who was really nice and who I normally deal with, said that I should never feel guilty or bad about turning down work its completely my choice. So that did make me feel better. However I was peeved to find out that I only earn £7 an hour and not my usual £85 and I wouldn't have known this because that was my first nursery supply and the agency didn't tell me, not impressed!! Oh well live and learn they say!!

I hope everyone else has had a good day and enjoys their half term!! :) xxx

14. Sometimes they get a bit snappy - I CAN understand why, having to call random people at 7am is my idea of hell and if you were the third or fourth person to say no, and the clock to get a bod there was ticking - I can understand it at least.
    Doesn't make it feel less **** from our side though.

15. I have just turned down 2 jobs from the same agency. And it has left me feeling dreadful.

Admittedly I have had no work from this agency since I joined in June, and it is my other agency who get me all my work (about 16 days since Sept).

The 2 offers were:

1 day teaching music, not my first subject a 90 minute drive away.

2 days teaching PE, which I have covered before, when I was desperate to get working, but I don't think being a qualified personal trainer really qualifies me to teach this subject and I really don't like covering it.

I have been really struggling with the whole uncertainty of supply, and the way in which agencies treat you. I suspect as I have turned down work from them they will never call me again. Mind you, this is only the second time they have actually offered me anything since June, the only other thing was a day in the local wild school, where you are lucky to get out alive.

16. I am always available in the morning.
    Telephone rings (the agency)
    My reply- how far, is it normal rates?.
    Yes here is the postcode (the agency)
    I go
    IF the agency say, well the school are only going to pay such and such. I say, I am not going. IF the agency are good they will say ok, and put the phone down as they have to find someone else. Sometimes they will whine and say do us a favour. I say happy to, get back to your client school and see what they can do. Amazingly but not often I have got away with it.
    Very very occassionally I have done the favour on some very bad rates, I always felt bitter twisted and exploited at the end of the day.
    But hey I am just a moaning supply teacher!
    One thing I have noticed if I go in to a desperate for a warm body school on low rates, I do not get noticed.
    I only get noticed when I am in on good pay rates!

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I was working on Friday so didn't get my usual 'when are you available next week' 'phone call. I e mailed to say Monday was a no day for me so, sod's law, I got a call this morning as the agent hadn't opened her e mails. i had to refuse but she was fine.
    I'm booked for Thursday but will be be ready and waiting on the other days.