1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refusing to teach a pupil.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by chriszwinter1, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I know exactly how you feel Georgia. Sadly this is what teaching has become. The staff and good students suffer because administrations and politicians are to weak/self-serving to do something about it. What a shame that we choose to end our careers because we feel so helpless! If only pre-grads were given access to information like this! Then we would have the teacher shortage necessary to bring about change!

2. I hazard a guess that it had something to do with creating more paperwork for teachers that digs into our teaching & planning time even more, colourful signs for the displays to remind students about proper uniform code, and notebooks of lesson-planning strategies that will supposedly turn the previously disinterested students into marvels of academia......

3. I see the same thing, and it doesn't matter - male or female - some of my students show no change or improvement in their behaviour no matter how many sanctions they received. Some have been heard to blatently refuse a direct instruction from the headteacher, who just allows them to go on about their business. If they treat the school leaders like this, it's no wonder they treat teachers like dirt (or worse).....

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I agree with every point made in your last 3 posts. I called one little toerag's bluff a couple of years ago when he told me that "all my other teachers let me ..." do whatever it was that I was objecting to, like walking in 10 minutes late, not having books, equipment, disrupting lessons, eating, playing with a phone and generally being the product of utterly appalling parenting. I asked him to name for me those colleagues of mine who let him do all those things so that I could give their names to the DH, at which point the young learner suddenly fell silent.

5. That's a great idea - think I'll do that the next time :) They don't think teachers talk to each other; they think we'll just automatically accept whatever they tell us......

6. Weak managers use this tactic all the time. Some years ago I was told that other teachers didn't have the problems with a class I had. There was a shocked look when I told the SLT member that they were clearly lying to one of us. I further followed the line that pupil's have no right to pick and choose which class they will behave well in and which they will disrupt. If they stick to the line that it's your problem you ask a) What evidence they have for their allegation? b) What support they are going to put in place to assist you in your perceived development need? At his point they tend to back down with a grievance hearing in the offing. Sadly they are creatures of the easy out and if you are more trouble than the pupil they will pick on the pupil.As for assault it cannot be tolerated. When I go to any public building I see signs that make it clear that abuse, verbal or physical is not part of the job. This is also true of teaching. If these characters did this to you on the street you would rightly summon the police and get them charged with assault or breach of the peace. Your employers also have a duty of care and you are completely entitled to come to your place of work unassailed by the clients. Thus a Health and Safety report should be filled in and you have a legal right to check up to see if it is acted upon. If a pupil represents a Health and Safety concern you have a right to ask the HT to carry out a risk assessment. You should contact your union and initiate grievance proceedings in the event that these matters are not dealt with timeously. As previously stated have a full paper chase and be able to quote chapter and verse. Communication with SLT should be on paper or electronically so that matters cannot be disputed. I f2f conversations have a witness. It may seem a lot of hassle but you will only have to do it once or twice max as my previous maxim applies: the SLT will take the line of least resistance.

7. Quite, could not agree more. In the past, both I and other staff members have had to resort to the "either he/she goes or I do" line. It always works. If it did not then they could end up before a tribunal for all the reasons "Unrepentantdinosaur" mentioned.
    The problem of SLT members not responding to phone calls is terrible. But it happens here as well. We also have the problem that our school refuses to discuss Staff Welfare at Health & Safety meetings. They acknowledge they have a duty to deal with it but insist it is done through "other channels" all of which seem to be more cumbersome and indirect.
    I hate mobile phones as a general rule, but calling the police right in front of the perpetrator would be a great thing to do. Must keep my phone on me!

8. casper

casper New commenter

I am in a situation where another pupil has told me that said pupil has made comments about me and wound things up. This has included malicious allegations. I have said that i will not teach this pupil unless there is another adult in the room at all times. Having gone through the behaviour code to the letter, I feel that i have aright to say this. Especially as further up the chain of command nothing has been done about this pupils behaviour.

9. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Brilliant advice, and as you say it only has to happen a couple of times for the SLT to wise up.