1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refusing to teach a pupil.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by chriszwinter1, Mar 25, 2012.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Health and safety or via a union ballot. You are putting yourself in breach of contract if you try to do it unilaterally.

2. chriszwinter1

I remember one little toerag in year 11 who couldn't sit still for any two consecutive minutes. I tried every trick in the book to get rid of him but go nowhere with management until I used the magic formula and told the DH at 9 o'clock one morning that with the youngster in the class the GCSE results of the rest of the group couldn't be guaranteed. By break the troublemaker had been removed from the subject and spent his time from then on in the library.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Post 2 is wise. You have no right to refuse. While this seems dreadful, imagine the consequence if teachers could pick and choose their students; I dare say classrooms would resemble the Hunger Games after a while.
    But that's no help if you're in a spot with a charmless fireball. Try the school system first; have the pupil removed whenever necessary, suing the school procedures; parking, exclusion etc. Repeat as often as necessary. Ask senior staff for advice. Follow the school policy to the letter, and communicate every time with your line management. Seriously, you need to be airtight ion this, to show that you've played it EXACTLY by the book.
    Then, if no satisfaction is forthcoming, demand that line management and the school create a specific strategy for this pupil that, hopefully, involves removal to a far, far better place.
    Also, in the mean time you can ask a sympathetic line manager/ colleague to take the kid for a while.
    If they're extreme though, demand as early as possible- especially if other teachers are finding the same problem. And a school that doesn't look after its staff and the majority of kids who can behave, doesn't deserve to have either.
    Good luck
    <i style="color:#1f1f1f;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;line-height:16px;background-color:#e5f4fb;">Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him.[/i]

4. chriszwinter1

Very well put, and I remember it's not the first time you're used that line.
    I remember a HT who told us that he was appointing an additional AH in response to our requests for support over behaviour. Once the AH had been in the school for about a month, the HT told us, "I can't have a situation in which senior members of staff are having to leave important development work to intervene in your classrooms."
    If the appalling attitude behind that comment doesn't back up what you say about how some schools - i.e. heads - don't deserve to have decent staff or pupils, I don't know what does. We never did find out what the important development work was but I've a shrewd idea it was a load of self-indulgent, bombastic claptrap from people who should not have been allowed anywhere near a child's education.

5. Yeah buh... the undeserving rule the earth...

6. casper

casper New commenter

Well said Tom, have been in this situation too.

7. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I wish we could refuse to teach students. After having a calculator thrown at my head which bruised my eyebrow, I was very upset for the student to be in my lesson the following day with no sanction other than the head of year 'having a word'. I also have girls in my class who openly tell me I'm fat, take the mickey out of the way I speak, tell me to f off etc.. I can't even get them to leave the classroom as they refuse and it seems to be impossible for me to even get support for a senior member of staff to come and collect them from my room.
    I am leaving my school after Easter and can't see myself returning to teaching.

8. "After having a calculator thrown at my head which bruised my eyebrow, I was very upset for the student to be in my lesson the following day with no sanction other than the head of year 'having a word'."
    Make your concerns clear to SLT, and if there's no improvement, then make it clear that if they won't deal with such incidents appropriately you will have to involve police, since you are not a human punchbag. I don't think SLT could legally object if you were to just whip out your mobile and call 999 in the classroom if you'd just been assaulted. Then let the Head deal with the publicity.

9. chriszwinter1

I disagree. Why involve the SLT, who are obviously useless and therefore complicit in the appalling behaviour? Go straight to the police and let the HT deal with what is after all his/her own failure?

10. Yes, well put. I work in an SEN/EBD school where this sort of behaviour is very common. It does take a thick skin and a certain type of person to do the job (patient, sympathetic, non-judgmental..) but at the same time I would not hesitate to call the police and have a pupil charged with assault if I was hit on the face with a calculator and left bruised. What a ridiculous situation.

11. I meant ridiculous that you have to put up with that. Your head seems to have let you down. Don't hesitate to have police involvement if such an incident occurs again. Let your head deal with the backlash of that. But please don't become a punch bag for your pupils.

12. Exactly!!

13. I am wondering exactly the same thing.

I have to teach a pupil 3 times a week who is very volatile.
    He has a very short fuse & frequently (at least once a week, usually more) starts arguments with other pupils.
    He has become violent (with other boys) on a couple of occasions & I've had to physically intervene.

He is completely disrespectful to me, & other female members of staff.
    He is also extremely homophobic & when he loses his temper will often call the other boys really offensive homophobic names.

Every week I have to follow the school behaviour policy by warning him, then putting his name on the board, then giving him a detention then removing him from the class. This system is clearly not working with him, otherwise I wouldn't have to keep doing it every week! I'm sick of having to ask for help from the (male) DH, because I feel like that is just confirming this particular boy's prejudices.

I don't know what else to do.
    Any ideas?

14. I was assaulted by a year 2 child who pullled me to the floor by my hair and then stopped me from getting up by pushing me back hard against the hard flooring. As a result a rib came out of my back and i damaged my hip . At the time i didnt realise how serious this was but 5 years later I had an op on my hip and the consultant felt the 2 things were linked and I continue to have problems with my back.
    I wasnt even sent home after wards and the child was only out of school for one day.
    I agree we should be able to refuse to teach pupils after situations like this

15. Depends on your line manger! WE had a child who constantly assaulted other pupils and staff We did all we could to help him but in the end he got an exclusion. AT that point the authority were not happy and found a place at a special school but he has since been excludud from there! We strugled for 5 years and sometimes there is just nothing can be done. You have to be cruel to be kind. Dont take ****. Unaceptable i just that.

16. Yes I wd agree with others about pushing it a bit more. If you don't do so I think managers just leave you to it. Be reasonable with them of course but make it clear what you "just won't stand for" (e.g. assaults). Perhaps you cd ask for very clear advice in writing about exactly what you are supposed to do if a child refuses to leave and you have waited (say) more than 10 mins for someone to get them. If they still don't give you any real support I really wd be inclined to phone the police - but then I suppose this might backfire re. their wrath later? Or even get in touch with the governors - or certainly let the HT know that you will do if he doesn't sort things out better.
    Things like homophobic abuse are of course an offence and I wd certainly phone the police (not on teh 999 tho) and get them to come in an interview the child concerned. i mean why not - just bc the SLT appear to be embarrased / want to cover it all up doesn't mean we have to! I think they partly do this to avoid letting Ofsted know the police have been as it makes them look bad but the child won't take us seriously if we just ignore them. And even really "tough" kids somehow do find the fact that the police are / cd be involved a bit of a "big deal" in my experience.

17. silvita2

silvita2 New commenter

Oh I have these sort of pupils on an everyday basis, I follow the procedures like you do and then when all the measures have been taken and exhausted, they return to my classroom with the same attitude and behaviour. I don't believe it is particular prejudism against women, but you are right male support does help. I am sorry I can't offer any ideas, just wanted to sympathise with you, as I feel the same frustration

18. SAM1CH

SAM1CH New commenter

My son is in Y8, althrough Y7 & Y8 he has been picked on. He is a very quiet lad and spends his free time in the library and has few friends. He has joined Army Cadets and does Judo. He has been pushed around by various people and called hurtful names, things he has never deserved as he is a lovely lad who is so helpful and kind and can communicate so well with others. Before Christmas, he got into the car and burst into tears... A boy had strangled him three times. my son didn't deserve this. I walked back to school and spoke to the adult on gate duty. She came over and spoke to him and declared that he must be a good boy as she didn't know his name but did knoe the name of the other boy, I was promised that it would be investigated and I would receive a phonecall the following day. I never received the phonecall. Three weeks later, my son came home distressed, he had been excluded. He had asked some children who had been pushing and shoving to stop, They continued so he told them to stop. In the end he told them to FOff/ Unfortunately. he was heard by a teacher and the school has a zero tolerance so my son was excluded. My son who had been bullied was now the owner of an exclusion order, not good. Since then, our son has been in better spirits, he feels better about school, his head is in the right place and no-one picks on him. Its a real pity that he had to do what he did to prevent the bullying. On our way out of the introduction back to school session, we talked about my son's exclusion. The teachers' admitted that Sam's concerns could have and SHOULD HAVE been handled better. Unfortunately, once we had left the discussion and I was walking out of the door, my son turned and told me that the Assistant head at the meeting was the teacher that he had called to when he was getting strangled! Thanks Teacher! Do I recommend that school, NO! Would I recommend it? Only to enemies! Waste of space, field and I hope it becomes landfill one evening the quicker the better!

19. I am surprised no-one has suggested this: get in touch with your union and they will help you. There are ways and means to sort this out.
    No-one should be expected to teach a pupil who has threatened, hurt or assaulted them.
    Also, ensure you follow the school's behaviour policy to the letter and record what happens.
    I had a child several years ago who had real issues and kept playing up. I kept reporting it to my KS2 co-ordinator as well as the head but it wasn't taken seriously as he wasn't so bad with my job-share. The light bulb moment for the head was when she was in a parallel class and I evacuated my class to the two parallel classrooms because this boy had his hands around the throat of another child. My concerns were finally taken seriously.

20. SAM1CH ... "Do I recommend that school, NO! Would I recommend it? Only to enemies! Waste of space" ...

Please tell me you are in the process of removing your son from this school. To keep him in an environment where he is being treated so appallingly by peers and senior staff is abuse at every level. Is nobody in his young life giving him the support he needs?