1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rEFUSING TO TAKE BADLY BEHAVED CHILDEN ON SCHOOL TRIPS?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by spiderkin, Jun 18, 2009.

1. i've refused to take pupils before now. yes you can refuse. go to your union for support if your school is unresponsive.

2. You can refuse to take badly-behaved students on trips if, in your opinion, they pose a risk to themselves and/or others. I have run many trips and on occasions, a student who has hitherto been OK has lost his/her place due to an incident in school, in or our of lessons. In one case, the student was removed with the parents' blessing only two weeks before the trip departed and they lost severlal hundred pounds. If you take a students with a poor behaviour record and they cause damage and/or injury whilst on the trip, you could, in theory, be deemed to have been negligent. Apart from anything else, it is nice to give the well-behaved kids a break from those who refuse to behave.

3. 576

576 Occasional commenter

My school has a clause written into all letters about school trips saying that bad behaviour can result in pupils not being allowed to go.
    Even after they've paid money for a trip - they can be not allowed to go on grounds of behaviour.

4. I think there is a world of difference between kids who are disengaged from learning in the classroom situation, and what I would describe as the toerag element (as a previous poster says, they need to learn 'no' menas 'no'). The former will often shine if properly motivated on a trip and are usually taken, they are a bit of a pain but not life threatening. The latter are seriously bad news for everyone and go to tremendous lengths to disrupt every activity. If they put the same amount of effort into achieving something worthwhile....

5. I'm going to be blunt in response to andyhodges - I don't rate teachers who seem to think that teachers should have to give up their free time to deal bad behaviour on trips. If a child behaves badly in technology or science, where bad behaviour can quickly affect safety, then yes, anybody with any sense would ban them. As for taking extra support - that would then take the place of another student - not really fair, is it?. The sort of behaviour I would ban a students for includes sexually inappropriate behaviour in or out of school; violent behaviour towards students or staff; repeated non-compliance. I don't thionk any of us here are talking about a child who fails to hand in homework or never wears school uniform.

6. Yes if its a H & S issue.
    No if child has a disability that comes under DDA.
    Discuss with Head and ask about increased supervision for "badly behaved" boys.
    Good luck

BB

7. Are you certain we aren't talking about untucked shirts as an excuse to exclude pupils who rub someone up the worng way. I've met a few of this type of teachers who view a trip as a 'treat'. Amateurs!
    I agree with your list of banned reasons. What I still find dogy is if you take a group ot a PGL type venue there may well be this type of pupil here from other schools.
    Then there's the idiots who leave 6 kids behind on a trip!! See other thread.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What other schools do with theirkids is their business. This morning I am i the process of banning a pupils from a dry slope ski trip as her regular poor behaviour in school has not improved despte being warned that the teachers taking the trip (not me in this instance) will not be responsible for her out of school.

9. Everyone needs to be very clear that bad behaviour, that may be linked with a condidtion such as ADHD is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act as it is a life long condition that seriously affects life chances. If you refuse to take a child with ANY disability you could wind up being sued under the DDA.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That would be a good thing in my oopinion. Until something like that was tested in law then we don't really know what is right. However if the courts ruled that a child that I was not willing to take on a trip had to go then I would cancel the trip unless the school/authority/parents provided sufficient resources (and I decide what is sufficient) for that child to take part without impinging on the safety or enjoyment of everyone else.

11. I have just returned from a trip to Barcelona. There was one child who was known to be a problem, but was not removed from the trip. I wish he had been as he caused endless trouble - my report runs to nearly 6 pages. This was deeply unfair on the rest of the group who were very well behaved. In future I would certainly refuse to take someone who is known to cause trouble. [​IMG]

12. I rarely lead trips these days, I leave it for those who are younger and have more energy. But, I have on many occasions banned certain students from participating. It is just common sense. They are always warned beforehand though. I have also noticed that many of the worst behaved boys are often paragons of good bahaviour on trips.

13. And what will taking him achieve. From the description of the usual behaviour of these pupils they should be excluded anyway.

14. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Every child matters...

It's more tricky than you would think to justify exclusion from a school excursion.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes, EVERY child matters including the ones who have their trips spoiled by the scrotes!

16. Completely agree. I'm all for inclusion but I think there comes a point where we have to consider are we "including" these kids because we have to and therefore "excluding" the good ones? I was always one of the good ones in school and can remember being extremely annoyed because I was effectively "excluded" from learning in certain classes and/or enjoying trips because of the poor behaviour of one or two. Why is it the good ones that get left out? I am organising a school trip to Spain this year and I, along with my HOD, have agreed that we will not be allowing bad children to go - there is a clause about this in the pack on school trips we are given and I also included a paragraph explaining this in my initial letter to parents. I understand that some children who are disaffected in school can flourish on trips but the problem is, we only have their behaviour in school to go on.... in my opinion, if I can't trust you to behave in school then how can I be sure I can trust you out of school? I've got the H&S of 39 other students plus 4 members of staff and the reputation of my school to think of.

17. I fully agree. I personally would refuse to take part in a trip if badly behaved children were to take part. It alo gives them a strong message and an incentive to behave better so that they can take part in the next trip.
    On the other hand, there was a boy I taught once nd in the classroom he was a holy terror. But if there were trips, especially outdoors trips, activities, he was good a gold. Never set afoot wrong, took part in everything and ...well..I could have sworn it was his lovely twin.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Today our DH took me on one side and asked me if I was absolutly certain that I wanted to take a certain pupil on a residential next week. I know this child has problems, I know that she has specific problems with some staff. However I taught her last year and have her in my classes again this year and feel happy that I can cope. In fact she is one of those kids who I feel will get the most benefit from a trip like this. I was scheduled to take her on a reward trip last term but the day before she got herself excluded and couldn't go! Of course I may have changed m mind by next Wednesday but for the time being she gets the benefit of the doubt.

19. well obviously our own professional judgement is important.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well we had a couple of wobbly moments with the kids but it was the normal relationship stuff you often get with girls (why can't they just punch each other like boys)? but everyone had a good time. The young lady that the DH warned me about had one moment when we had to intervene but she threw herself into all the activities even those she was nervous about and earned herself a lot of street cred with the other girls by being the only one who could hillboard the full length of the course including the steep booster hill at the start!