1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

refused references

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by billa, Dec 11, 2011.

1. billa

billa New commenter

I have just lost a job offer because of a "refused" reference. I did check before applying that referees were happy to provide references and suspect that its just a case of people being too busy this time of year. I'm back to unemployed so have plenty of time to ask, does a non return of a reference imply refusal or can I assume that phone calls were made as well. Can a school simply not return the form or do they need to indicate that they are refusing.

2. billa

billa New commenter

I have just lost a job offer because of a "refused" reference. I did check before applying that referees were happy to provide references and suspect that its just a case of people being too busy this time of year. I'm back to unemployed so have plenty of time to ask, does a non return of a reference imply refusal or can I assume that phone calls were made as well. Can a school simply not return the form or do they need to indicate that they are refusing.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Can't say for certain, but it would be odd for a job offer to be withdrawn for simple non-return. After all, they will have to go to more hassle to find the next best candidate. Sounds to me that the reference explicitly wasn't given. Only one way to find out, phone the school and ASK.

4. My supply career was. Slowed down by a refusal from a referee. I was made redundant in march and never got into school til after may half term. Basically my last school 4 years ago was a night are situation and I left and took a career break. The agency wanted a teaching reference so insisted that this school had to be contacted much to my insistence that this would be a problem. I emailed the head to check and got a lovely email saying yes she would do it and hoped I was well etc. agency contacted them regularly as she never returned the firm. Their office kept saying she was out or in meetings but agency said she had returned a reference for someone else so concluded eventually that she was blatantly ignoring and refusing. In the end my previous school were contacted who were originally dismissed as referees due to timescale but the senior teacher there near retirement had her dates mixed up as to when I was there and had originally said it eas longer than it was but in the end she did my referee. I never did get any contact from the original head and generally refuse to give her name.

5. I had references refused on a non teaching job on the grounds that my references were too recent. Both were from two successful term supply placements where the heads were happy to give me a reference. I happened to run into somebody who works for that company and he said that there is a certain person in that company who is a bit strange when handling things like that. Things like this can be a real problem, especially outside education where employers don't understand the mechanics behind supply teaching.

6. billa

billa New commenter

Finally spoke to the school re missing reference. Turns out they thought I was a GTP student which is why they initially agreed to provide a reference, though I had stated in my request for a referee that I was supply for the 5 months. School policy is that supply teacher references go straight to the agency which was news to me. Job now definitely lost and can't get hold of the agency person. UItimately my fault I guess for forgetting the low status of supply teachers.

7. Becoming more of a problem. If we are employed by an agency, the schools we work in are not our employers. So they can say we do not give references.
    Ok, so if we long term in a school then we ask for a reference. Most schools will do this. However the whole reference thing is becoming wishy washy.
    I was knocked back by an agency when one of my references was good but the smt teacher did not fill in the dates when I was covering for the agency blurb.
    Many of the dates I was covering in the school were for her absence.
    Anyway the school had closed down so she did not have any records to refer to (I may add this all happened only 3 months after the school closed it was a recent reference request)
    Anyway I simply went to another agency, as I was not going to screw up myself pestering for a reference for this agency.
    Agencies should get themselves together and sort themselves out regarding referencing.
    and pigs fly

8. billa

billa New commenter

Have followed path to agency who say would not provide reference because school trying to avoid finders fee. Agency did not feel the need to inform me because I guess they think I was involved. I assumed new school would have organised that so my fault I suppose for being naive. 4th year of supply and 1st successful job application. Tired of talking to people with jobs. A quiet and very cheap christmas then back to the early morning phone calls I suppose. Should be positive that almost made it but difficult when faced with another year of noisy year 9s. Oh well.

9. Simple.
    Speak to staff on your travels about being a reference for you.
    Explain why on your form.
    "I would rather not use my agent as a referee as they are parasitic scum who have no idea about my classroom ability, have ridiculous expectations, a poor attitude towards their fellow man and personally, if I had to be their referee, I'd just wipe my own excrement onto a page. "

Something along these lines.
    Agency = Ignorant scum of the worst sort.....besides, what are they going to say?
    "I kind of had the impression that Stuart was not that keen on working" (When I phoned him up at 8:40am and expected him to drive 30 miles for half a day and be there for registration).
    You don't involve your agent in anything more than your brief interaction with them and contracted obligations.
    However, you will probably get a half decent reference from a member of staff....you may or may not have taught alongside. People are often too lazy to follow these sorts of things up.
    I'll be your retired HOD if you like. Pass 'em on.

Edit:- finders fee is in the same region of abhorrence as forced prostitution or slavery. It is the lowest kind of parasitism that not even a tapeworm in a tapeworm would court.