1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

refused job share

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hdavis7612, May 16, 2012.

1. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

You did the right thing by contacting the union. I don't think school is obligated to offer you a job share, but your boss is breaking the law by even discussing your date of return! I'm back full-time just before we break up in July, but I was contacted to see if I would come back earlier b/c my cover wasn't working out! i politely said 'no' and then ended the conversation. Forget about you being 'unfair to the children', she's being unfair to you! Surely you're maternity cover was booked to do the entire period? If not, well that's for your head to worry about, not you! Hope you're able to sort things out.

2. One of my friends is in a similar situation - I was very lucky - got part time easily because there was redundancies at school, the head couldn't legally turn down part time and make someone else redundant.
    However, I agree with the other poster - they can refuse your part time request - but have to give you a valid reason but your head demand you to talk about when you are returning to work - legally you only have to give 28 days notice. My friend encouraged a conversation with her head about when he would like her back - so he said well 'September is obviously better for me' but she doesn't want to - after October half term at the earliest. She is worried he won't accept part time if she wants October. What did your union say? Can you formally request so that it is in writing, whatever happens? Good luck