1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refused CPD

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cookiemonster611, Jun 19, 2019.

1. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

Hi All,

I found some FREE CPD last week which I asked my line manager to go on. She refused point-blank. I was told 'we need all staff on site in our penultimate week as it's going to get very busy' when I questioned as to why I cannot be released for the one day CPD course.

I work in an FE setting and all teaching/exams/deadlines come to an end this week. Yes there will be a few students coming in for late submissions, however we never expect more than a handful per tutor. All of my students have handed all their work in on time and I am just planning for the next academic year.

Speaking to a colleagues it seems not many get to go on CPD courses unless it falls on a weekend or during the half term!

Has anyone ever been refused CPD?

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don’t really see how you’ve got an argument against it.

How useful is the CPD? Does it tie in directly with your department priorities or is it more ‘ I fancy that’?

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1 You requested.
    2 Your request was refused.
    3 You asked for a reason.
    4 A reason was given.

I don't see the problem. You asked a manager to make a decision and she promptly obliged.

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

To be honest I have not had an external CPD ever, despite asking.

I have been teaching 16 years.

5. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Frustrating it may be, but beyond a sense of 'i would rather do this' I don't think anything here is wrong as such.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Of course you can be refused.
    However, it should be possible for you to state all that you have above and show arrangements for every possibility that might come up and ask the line manager to reconsider.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

We as a school only send people on training run by exam boards.....

In all schools that I’ve worked in, there’s been a bit of understanding that most external CPD is a less good version of what you have in school anyway.

Even though it’s ‘free’ it’s not Is it? You’ll be claiming for travel, supply

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

What's the cover implications in you leaving out for the day or more? Is there a financial cost to the FE provider due to this? How important is the CPD? could it be run again in autumn? (many are run numerous times a year)

9. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

Yes it sure is useful - with the new Functional Skills reform coming in from Sept 2019, we have had zero training apart from an email to say there are changes taking place and that email was from a fellow tutor and not from management.

There are no arrangements to be made. We are in our final teaching week where students are having to come in only to sit exams. All but one of my students have sat their final exam- the last exam is tomorrow. CPD in four weeks. Sounds a good idea to ask the manager to reconsider, she may change her mind. :)

The only internal CPD on offer to staff is a day of sharing good practice with my colleagues. Yes I may pick up a few good ideas from my colleagues, however, It is usually me who is delivering these CPD sessions.

Nope, I would not be claiming for expenses- the venue is just a bus ride to the city centre. It won't cost a penny as I have my bus pass.

This is last session running this academic year. We need to be ready and prep'd for the new academic year with all the new changes coming in.

I totally understand management has the right to refuse but considering there shall be no teaching and with the new spec starting this Sept I thought they would be fine with me going?

Management may have a change of heart and allow me to leave? Guess I'll find out on Monday- after the final exam is over.

10. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

I work in FE/HE and have never had any external CPD refused. Some places do seem to be better at supporting staff with CPD than others.

If it was me i would ask them to reconsider. Does your College have an exam or assignment re-sit window that would coincide with this CPD? If so i would detail any students that you feel may fall under this and what measures could be put in place. I would highlight in great detail the importance of this CPD. What is your providers current success rate in English and maths? If it is really good then i would stress that to maintain that level this CPD is required to ensure that staff are fully prepared of the changes that are being made and that preparations can be made in enough time ready for the start of the new academic year. If they are not great then this should be a focus of the College to improve upon and as a result this CPD will benefit staff ready for the changes to ensure that pass rates can be improved. You could also suggest that if you were to go on this course you could then in turn provide internal training to the remainder of the team.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

We make sure staff have all the appropriate CPD for related to anything they are being asked to do. Some is internal, some is from paid-for external providers.

Occasionally, a somewhat random request to attend a course which doesn’t appear relevant to role/school objectives has to be declined though.

12. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Sounds like its easier to let you go..... maybe go above your line manager??

Key thing is you’ve done your bit.... if it hits the fan later....

13. Sunnyday50

Sunnyday50 New commenter

I was once refused permission to go on a free CPD training afternoon (which would have continued until 2.5 hours after my usual finishing time) that meant me being out of school for 1 lesson in which I didn't have a class so it would have literally cost nothing for the school. I wouldn't have even claimed for travel as it was on my usual route home from school anyway! Sometimes the logic escapes me.