1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refuse to check DBS Update Service

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by teachSheffield, Feb 5, 2019.

1. teachSheffield

teachSheffield New commenter

I hold a DBS Certificate on the Update Service, keeping it active since December 2014. I did not have problems with other Agencies, schools or providers in the past for them to check it online, last ones recently in January. The other day I started the process to register with another Agency and they say they cannot check my DBS online until they don't see the paper copy, which I don't have or is lost in my last home moving. It's almost poetic because I have found other 6 DBS from previous employers -that they are useless now- but not the paper-based that matches with my online one (if they actually sent it to me at first).

The agency offers to get a new DBS done with them, paying. Do I have any other alternative? Am I wasting my money with the update service? Does anybody know if I can get a duplicate? I wonder if this is a one-off situation or my past employers were that soft genuinely.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have just registered with two agencies in Sheffield. I am a member of the update service and my DBS is over a year old. I showed the agencies the certificate and they were happy with it and they did the check on the update service.

I know that you cannot do this but if they are willing to pay for it then I would take advantage of their generosity.

3. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Your post is not clear... are they offering to pay? I’d so, no problem- get it done then register it on the update service when it arrives.

They’re going to need to have sight either of either your old one or the new one you acquire. This is standard practice.

4. teachSheffield

They are not offering to pay.

I have a DBS registered on the Update Service but I cannot show it physically, I do not have it. This was not a problem for other agencies/employers when they checked my DBS online in the past, but it is an issue for this particular one.

I would like to know if this is standard practice.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I think, but don't quote me on this, that if you have lost your certificate you have to pay for the whole process again. Due diligence dictates that the original DBS certificate is looked at and they also check with update service if the certificate is more than 2 years old. I make it a point of
    a. handing over the original certificate and
    b. a screen shot of my DBS update service details showing when it expires.

If you have lost the certificate, I would pay to have another one done as you will be asked for it again and again. Some schools still expect supply teachers to show this on the first day of their placements plus their passport or driving license as proof of ID. Everyone is trying to cover their backs.

6. teachSheffield

Thank you for your answer @catbefriender

What it puzzles me is that other agencies, schools and private providers were happy with a screenshot of my DBS. I can prove it because I can see all employers 'who have carried out a Status check on your Certificates' are tracked on correctly.

I have recently paid the renewal fee of my current DBS. Now I would have to pay £44 for the new one plus another renewal fee on top. I'm sorry but I still don't get the point.

7. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Happened to me and I had to pay for a new one. Just make sure you cancel your renewal for the one currently online or you will find yourself having to pay out even more.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They can ask for what they like. You can either agree or go somewhere else.

Does the update screen show the last DBS Disclosure certificate? I didn't think it did. I thought it only confirms that there have been no changes since the last Disclosure certificate was issued. If that's the case the Update on its own isn't sufficient, you have to have the certificate as well.

And to be fair to the agency the root of the problem here is that you have lost the certificate! :)

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  9. teachSheffield

The update screen shows
    • Contact details
    • Application number
    • Certificate number
    • Certificate issue date
    • Level of check
    • Application status
    • Update status
    • Expiry date
    with the 'Disclosure & Barring Service' logo.

I see your point, I may lose the Certificate but as far as I know I never had to show it before... and they checked it online tens of times since 2014.

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

To tie an online system to a physical piece of paper seems daft. I had a similar problem with agency that would not accept an official copy of a birth certificate.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I was in a similar situation and had to get a new one.
    Make sure when you do that you manually add it to your DBS update records (I naïvely assumed it would happen automatically and then had to get another DBS check a year later - thankfully, my agency kindly paid that time)

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So it doesn't say whether your last DBS certificate showed any convictions? That's why the Update is no use without the original certificate. You could have an Update that showed no change since the certificate was issued, but it wouldn't show that the last certificate disclosed 10 convictions for violence....

(I know you don't have 10 convictions for violence....)

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomza like this.
  13. catbefriender

Exactly the school and agencies are not following due diligence correctly and can get themselves in a lot of trouble. The correct protocol is to show the DBS certificate, it has things like who issued the certificate and the issuers can be contacted i.e. if they were a school or agencies to find out if there were any safeguarding issues and as Rott Weiler as said, only states there are no new offences, but does not mention whether there were any offences before.

So in theory, you could have a DBS with an offence on, and tell people you lost it, and then show people the DBS update details which states no new offences. As you can see, it aint proper safeguarding. The certificate must be viewed. I keep my DBS certificate with my passport and qualification certificates.

14. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Please you should put the new one somewhere safe?

15. TheOracleAtDelphi

Which is an eminently sensible thing to do but if you are a supply teacher you have to take it with you together with passport/other official photo ID in case the school wants to see it :)

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This is it really.

17. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Yes, my family would say I’m a hypocrite as I’m always losing documents. If it makes the OP feel better I’ve had to fork out £25 to get a new V5 from the DVLA as I lost the old one :(

18. catbefriender

Yes they do and once they have seen it I am deemed DBS checked by that school and then I put it back with my passport and certificates. It only needs to be seen once per school.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. TheOracleAtDelphi

I just tend to keep mine in my 'supply teacher bag' in case I get a late shout for a school I've not been to before (I used to look young - before teaching aged me ;-) so my passport comes with me regardless) but you are clearly far more organised than me :)

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I had a DBS done last year in new school.
    Can I register for update based on this one?Or do I have to start again to use update service?