1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refusal of requests

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by mprcomp, Sep 24, 2019.

1. mprcomp

mprcomp New commenter

I work at a good school. The school used to when I started used to have a policy that if students refused requests on several occassions they used to get time in internal school isolation. It seems over the years it has erroded away well apart from when Ofsted thought behaviour should be better then it changed.

I just had this in my lesson today and all I got from support was just put them on detention. Three students stopped the whole lessons as they didn't like going through school system for talking and not listening. They just decided to refuse requests.

Do other schools have a more strict approach on this and how do you try and persuade school and pastoral to see this is more serious than teacher detention? Been at school for a few years and middle leader so could try and talk to SMT about this.

2. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

We have quite a firm stance on this for Upper KS2 particularly. Once we have ascertained that there is no 'emotional' reason why they are unable to do what is being asked of them[ maybe a bad morning at home, no breakfast..], and of course that the work is pitched at an appropriate level for them to access,we always ask the question 'are you then refusing a reasonable request?' and if they are/do, then they are removed from the room by SLT and taken to the SLT room where work is provided. If they then refuse to complete that work, they then start the next school day in that room too. If it is still completed, then I'm afraid it's an external fixed term exclusion....I know that might sound harsh but it mirrors the expectation and processes of our local Upper school and we feel therefore it's in some way 'preparing them' for that.
    I know not everyone will agree with this stance...but it works for us...

JohnJCazorla, Marshall and pepper5 like this.
  3. mprcomp

mprcomp New commenter

That sounds like a good stance and they can't just ignore requests from people in real life. Well the students are been moved to two different classes. Doesn't look like school will support me at all just expected to get on with it.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Here's the rub, can SLT be bothered to do this? At my current school* they will try to avoid having naughty pupils as their responsibility so the policy is to dump them in another room in the department, regardless of the chance of them staying there for more than a few seconds.

*I'm long-term supply and, once October half-term arrives, work will pick up so I can move on.:)

pepper5 likes this.
  5. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

In some schools the number of pupils refusing to follow reasonable instructions would not fit into the SLT's room.

tonymars likes this.