1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refunds!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SleighBelle, Dec 22, 2010.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

After my flight was cancelled, lastminute.com have kindly agreed to refund the full cost of the holiday (flights plus hotel). The money for the hotel will be refunded within 7-10 working days, the money for the flight in 8- 16 WEEKS!
    Does anyone know why???
    Also, I booked and paid in advance to choose my seating on the flights there and back. I have submitted a request for a refund for those too but it's not clear whether I will get it or not. Anyone have experience of claiming money back for paid seat-booking prior to check-in?
    Thanks!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Last April I had a flight booked through Expedia Travel cancelled due to the Icelandic volcano.
    Finally got the money in November.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Think they need to wait to get it from ATOL? x

5. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I'm jealous you have managed to get in touch with them; expedia still aren't answering the phone to me or my friend and we have been trying since Sunday!
    I presume with the flight they are waiting for the money back from the airline and that must take longer?
    I would assume if you paid for the seat booking when you paid for the flights that should all come back as one payment. Again, I may be wrong on this.

6. Whenever I have received a refund, seat booking payments were exempt.
    Although I suspect this could depend on the particular airline.

7. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to go and check out that holiday forum!

CQ, it was British Airways- I'll be annoyed if they don't refund the seat booking, seeing as though they cancelled the flight. I didn't book the seats at the same time as the actual holiday. The holiday was booked on lastminute.com. I later went onto British Airways and 'managed my booking', paying for selected seats directly to BA.
    Which airline were you using?

8. British Airways!
    I now use Lufthansa who are far more accommodating [​IMG]

9. the holiday company I booked with went bust in July. I've not even had an acknowledgement from the CAA that they've had the claim from the travel agent yet. Don't hold your breath.

10. Email Ann Robinson! Things seem to move fast for people who will go on tv!

11. Helena Handbasket

Well my friend finally managed to speak to a human being today, 10 days after we started trying. They said they will refund everything but it is going to be 2-12 weeks and they can't confirm when.

On Deltas website there was a form that is applicable to people flying out of the EU. If your flight was cancelled you could be entitled to up to 600 euro compensation if the flight was cancelled within a week of you going and the circumstances could have been avoided if reasonable measures had been taken.
    My feeling is if Gatwick/Stanstead/Luton and City were all operating then Heathrow didn't take all reasonable measures to sort it.
    Have a look on your airlines website, it's worth an application at least.

12. Helena Handbasket

The form is something to do with the EU, not specific airlines.

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I believe the legislation you are referring to is Reg 261/2004. This places the duty on the AIRLINE. It is extremely unlikely you will get the compensation for flights cancelled due to adverse weather at an AIRPORT. This is out of the control of the airline.