1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refugee boat carrying hundreds capsizes off Libya coast

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by AndrewvanZyl, May 26, 2016.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Dear All

One of the dangers of being exposed to so much news about refugees is that one can become enured to it all. This well-produced piece by Al Jazeera brings home the dangers and desperation of attempting to escape war zones and more once again-or it did for me.

Published on May 25, 2016
    More refugees are trying to reach Europe from Libya in dangerous and overcrowded boats. On Wednesday, the Italian navy said it rescued 550 people from one boat that started tipping over as the operation began. At least five people drowned.

2. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

This is a desperately sad problem with no apparent solution.

Keeping refugees in camps on the borders of Europe is not a solution. Sending them back to where they came from is not a solution. For many of them 'where they came from' doesn't exist anymore.

And yes, you're right, I think we've become desensitised to it.

On a lighter note, I like the science links you're posting Andrew, they're the kind of things I'd love to have time to browse for myself. I rarely even find time to log in and click like at the moment, but they are appreciated.

3. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Dear Rachel-thanks so much for this. I've only recently started posting to the TES forums and as someone who works in another country (continent!) with a different syllabus I have been pretty nervous about posting material! Your last paragraph precisely articulates why I do this kind of thing-Librarians are still in the information business and I am acutely aware that teachers simply do not have the time to trawl for useful material. By the way, I post all of these items and lots more in my subject-specific Scoops. If you have the time you may want to check them out here:

http://www.scoop.it/u/andrew-van-zyl

Thanks again and take care, Andrew