1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Refreezing

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lilachardy, Dec 17, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I know refreezing is generally a no-no, but...

I am making my "vegetarian alternative" to the meat on Christmas day, and I'd like to include a spoonful of cranberry sauce. I made the sauce myself, and it's been in the freezer since. I'd need to defrost it to remove a spoonful... whilst I wouldn't refreeze the rest of the sauce, do you reckon I can refreeze the bit I'm using?
    Or should I just wait and make it nearer the time?
    Or go and buy some sauce...

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

could just just chisel a bit off?

Id do it but thats just me!

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I'd say that you'd need to make a vegerarian option nearer the time anyway, certainly no longer than the day before. If the rest of the cranberry sauce is to go with the turkey you'd be fine defrosting it on Christmas Eve.
    We just avoided a catastrophe here today. Mrs modelmaker told me the light in the fridge had failed yesterday. I checked it out and the bulb looked quite black, so I imagined it had blown. Of course, it's a special bulb you have to order, so that was that for the time being.
    When I went to have a beer this afternoon however, I noticed it wasn't cold, which meant the fridge and freezer wasn't working at all. I tracked the problem down to the power socket which happens to be at the bottom of the cupboard under the oven where we store the Pyrex dishes etc. They are all different shapes and sizes so none of themstack neatly, however hard you try. It seems that the last time the dishwasher was emptied, the switch for the fridge-freezer got knocked off.
    Whoever paid to have this kitchen fitted will have spent a fortune on it, only to have it installed by idiots. But for that beer not being cold when I wanted it, I'd have lost a week of food.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

As cranberry sauce doesn't contain any protein or high risk foods, the only thing to suffer will be the quality, so defrost enough to chip a bit off then bung back in the freezer.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I was going to make it and freeze it, you see...

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It'll be fine, may be better made nearer the day, but who's got the time!!