1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reforms and redundancies kill off music in state schools

Discussion in 'Music' started by superlocrian, Jan 5, 2011.

1. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/reforms-and-redundancies-kill-off-music-in-state-schools-2169858.html
    It's in the paper now... Wonder if there is any point in music teacher training now?

2. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/reforms-and-redundancies-kill-off-music-in-state-schools-2169858.html
    It's in the paper now... Wonder if there is any point in music teacher training now?

3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

At least the press have taken up the issue which is a start (witness the hasty u-turns on both sports spending and the free books scheme once they started generating negative headlines).
    I got a reply from some pillock at the Dept for Education having written to them about this issue, explaining to me that RE was not included in the new bacc because it was remaining a compulsory subject - my entire letter had referred very specifically to Music throughout and made no mention of RE anywhere. I would prefer to be ignored than insulted by someone who can't be bothered to read....
    Re music teacher training - Michael Gove won't be education secretary for the duration of your career so we've got to battle through the next few years and hope that either David Cameron replaces him at the next cabinet reshuffle or that the Tories lose the next election. It's a very negative outlook for the short term but the more bad publicity we can raise about the issues, the more chance of one of those two things happening.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm reminded of the time, long ago, when my mother-in-law wrote to the Department of Transport about several specific matters that British Rail had failed to address in a series of complaints. Back came the reply from the civil service, saying "Dear Mrs X, concerns about parking meters should be addressed to the local authority concerned. I regret we cannot help you further in this matter". [​IMG]