1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reformed GCSE number descriptors

Discussion in 'English' started by shopgirl18, Feb 20, 2016.

1. shopgirl18

shopgirl18 New commenter

Hi there,

Does anyone have access to some Lang and Lit new number descriptors for the Reformed GCSE? I have ransacked Pixl and could not find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

3. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

They don't exist. GCSEs don't work like that anymore. From now on, the grade that a candidate earns will be based on how well they have done In comparison to the rest of their cohort. Therefore it is not possible to provide the criteria for grades as the same quality of work might earn you a grade 5 one year and a grade 4 the next. Apparently, this will prevent grade inflation, raise standards and provide rigour!

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There are no more grades. If a SLT asks you for grades for your students you can't provide them. You can, however, say if they have made progress. I think this is progress!

5. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Well - yes there are. They just aren't letters - back to numbers like when I took my O Levels. My Grade 1 in English looks pretty rubbish these days, though o_O

6. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

Another reason to avoid PiXL.

The DfE has released some general descriptors. These show the expected standards in the middle of Grades 8, 5 and 2. They are quite general, akin to the standards at Grades A, C and F you used to find at the back of specs:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/grade-descriptors-for-gcses-graded-9-to-1

As others have said, though, the grades all actually be awarded statistically (so the same proportion of students who get a Grade A and above now get a Grade 7 and abov; repeat for Grades C/4 and Grades G/1 – unless Ofqual carries out its threat to equal out subject difficulty, in which case fewer than half of students will get a Grade 4 and above). Therefore, these descriptors are really just best guesses at what standards the grades will fall.