1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reflective Symmetry with year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Feb 11, 2012.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm just planning a unit of work which covers 2d shapes and symmetry- however I'm struggling to find a simple way in which I can explain reflective symmetry and lines of symmetry to children.
    I think I'm trying to over simplify if by saying reflective symmetry means it's the same on both sides/halves when a mirror is placed in the middle and the line of symmetry is the place where the mirror is??
    Does this make sense think I might confuse them!has anyone taught this and how did you word this so all chn could understand. I have planned to do a carousel of activities on tables all related to symmetry.

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm just planning a unit of work which covers 2d shapes and symmetry- however I'm struggling to find a simple way in which I can explain reflective symmetry and lines of symmetry to children.
    I think I'm trying to over simplify if by saying reflective symmetry means it's the same on both sides/halves when a mirror is placed in the middle and the line of symmetry is the place where the mirror is??
    Does this make sense think I might confuse them!has anyone taught this and how did you word this so all chn could understand. I have planned to do a carousel of activities on tables all related to symmetry.

3. I find children pick this up quickly, and I usually show them using a paint activity painting half of a butterfly and folding over. Show them a few examples and they'll understand regardless of how you explain it - its very visual..

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I agree that it is a visual topic, and the painting idea is a classic for good reason. it is also a kinaesthetic one, and one thing you can try with Y2 is to have a few pieces of paper cut into shapes, some of which can fold exactly in half and some which can't. Can they sort them into those which will and those which won't, then test by actually creating the folds themselves?
    This might help them to bridge the gap between the concrete and abstract phases of developing this concept. Good luck!

5. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thank you both- my worry was that when we read out the objective we normally discuss what it is that they're actually learning and then I would go on to explain reflective symmetry.

But might actually show them this before referring to the objective.